Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nitzan

making reflections dirty

nitzan    108
I have a floor that reflects using the code from Lesson 27. Is there a way to make the reflection "dirty" ? It just looks too perfect. Is there a way to make it blurry or something ? Nitzan ------------------------- www.geocities.com/nitzanw www.scorchedearth3d.net -------------------------

Bad Monkey    145
just a random idea (i haven''t tried this myself)... you could try looking into "gloss maps", which are like an image that you pair with a texture that specifies how shiny the texture is at each texel...

although these are generally being used for per-pixel lighting, you could apply them differently to have "imperfect" reflections.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Reflection mapping. Will modulate the amount of reflection of a surface based on a map. Create a noise reflection map, and your reflections will look dirty.

- AH

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Just render the reflective surface with an alpha channel, instead of a single alpha value.

pollier    122
If you''ve played Super Smash Melee for Nintendo GameCube, the arena "Fountain of Dreams" has some very nice blurred reflections, and I was wondering about how it was done. It looked like they had rendered the objects to be reflected on an off-screen buffer, resized it to be say, 16 times smaller, and made a linear-filtered texture, so that the lower-resolution texture made it blurred. (And all in real-time, too!) I don''t know if that''s even possible in OpenGL, or at least extremely slow. Anyways, just some food for thought.

nitzan    108
in Super Monkey ball in the party game Monkey Target they have awesome blurred reflection in the water. I know the GameCube uses an API similiar to OpenGL, so its probably possible.

Nitzan

-------------------------
www.geocities.com/nitzanw
www.scorchedearth3d.net
-------------------------

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Of course it''s possible, in fact, it''s very simple. Just render your reflected scene to a texture, choose a texture resolution that suits your needs (1024*1024 for almost pixel perfect reflections, 32*32 for *very* blurred ones). Now render the normal scene with the reflection texture applied to your surface. That''s it.

- AH

ARID    122
if you realy want to go cheap and "dirty" (pardon the pun) just use multitextureing and put a not so blended texture over the reflection (insta dirt if you put brown in the texture)

A man walks into a bar.....ouch!?! Ya get it, do ya huh huh well....awww I give up.