Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your Polygon Count?

This topic is 5825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is a realistic polygon count to expect when using immediate mode OpenGL? I am getting about 8000 polys or so at 50fps, using GL_TRIANGLES and no blending, depth testing enabled, one texture bind and GL_LINEAR texture mapping with a color specified for each vertex (the texture is a 128x128 RGBA) core code looks something like this glBindTexture(mytexture); glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); for(i=0;i<8000;i++) { for(j=0;j<3;j++){ glTexCoord2f(s[j],t[i][j]); glColor3f(r[i][j],g[i][j],b[i][j]); glVertex3f(x[i][j],y[i][j],z[i][j]); } } glEnd(); Im running an nVidia TNT2 Ultra on a P3 500. The trick is that I am using SDL + Linux. Is this triangle rate in the ball park, or is SDL slow? I know i can speed things up with display lists or vertex arrays. Are there any other performance tweaks I can use? Does anyone know of an openGL benchmark utility that will run with SDL/Linux? Cheers Keef ----------------------- glDisable(WORK); glEnable(GL_CODING);

So you are getting about 400,000 TPS.

That sounds really good actually.

I get about 400,000 TPS with display listed objects, blending, reflection, and 2 light sources, but on a P3 800 and Nvidia Geforce 1 with 512mb ram.

So your numbers actually sound very good.

Nitzan

-------------------------
www.geocities.com/nitzanw
www.scorchedearth3d.net
-------------------------

it has nothing to do with sdl, sdl just creates the ogl context! so 100 000+ polys per frame are ok and possible on most modern computers?

and at the moment i have 1 poly, the mouse

Edited by - Zeusel on January 3, 2002 4:42:34 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster
> so 100 000+ polys per frame are ok and possible on most modern computers?

Yes, if you use VARs and AGP fencing, I would say it should be OK.

this depends so much on card/cpu etc
but here are numbers u should aim for ingame
(2 texture units enabled + bound with 256x256 texture, 1 directional light)
tnt2,voodoo3 (300,000 tris)
geforce+ (3million)

FWIW on my vanta (gotterdammerung see below pushes 350,000 tris a second) BUT another program of mine (fractal planet) pushes 2million.
see what a huge difference between the 2 programs

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html