Which compiler for WIN2000 programming

Started by
7 comments, last by savagerx 22 years, 3 months ago
I am really puzzled over which compiler to use. Borland C++ 5.5 "compiler"? Designed for Albert Einstein to configure. VC++ 6.0 professional? It cost a bomb in Singapore! But recently, I came across a version of VC++ that says Academic version which cost quite reasonable. Thus, would like to enquire if I can use this version of VC++ to do WIN 2000 programming. Of course I''m still a student. And does that retail box comes with a user manual that teaches us how to use it? I''ve tried using my existing VC++ 5.0 to do WIN2000 programming everything went fine until the linking part where I get lots of compiler error. And I gave up. I got to decide within these few days. I welcome all comments The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
Advertisement
I used the acedemic version for a while and it was great, everything was fully functional and the manuals were included. The only thing different was that when you compile programs it puts a message box into your program saying that your program was made on the academic version and that it was not to be distributed or something like that. Hope that helps,

Josh-Man
Hi,
I've purchased VC++ 6.0 Professional edit. but have problems
trying to make WIN32 applications in WIN2000.

This is how I start : (is it correct way to create WIN32 app?)
-----> First I go to [file] -> [new] -> [C++ source file]

-----> sorry if my description is a bit messy.

The error message is:
--------------------Configuration: MyWin32App - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
MyWin32App.cpp
Linking...
LIBCD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Debug/MyWin32App.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

MyWin32App.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

What does it mean?
I thought I have downloaded the platform SDKs from Microsoft.
Or did I download the wrong one?

PLEASE HELP ME! :'(

Edited by - savagerx on January 3, 2002 10:31:36 AM
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
Do this:
File
New
Projects
Win32Application.... NOT Win32 Console Application.
Then make it empty.
Then put your cpp file in it and then code.

Hope that helps

Jeff D

Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton

PS The reason you get that Linker error is because it thinks its a console Application and is Looking for a main() not WinMain(). Good luck

Edited by - Jeff D on January 3, 2002 3:49:46 PM
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
not sure about VC++ 5.0 on Win2K. though i''m sure it should work as it worked fine on Win9x/NT. i do know VC++ 6.0 works fine on Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP as i''ve tried all of them (tho, i use the enterprise edition). you may want to try looking up service packs for VC++ 5.0.

if you don''t mind posting some of the linker errors you are getting?

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
I''m still curious what compilers are people actually using ??

I''m no Microsoft fan, but is there reasons to use/not use MS C++ ???

What others are out there and what are thier strengths/weaknesses

"The Avalanche has already started... it''''s too late for the pebbles to vote!" - Ambassador Kosh
"The Avalanche has already started... it''s too late for the pebbles to vote!" - Ambassador Kosh
there are plenty of compilers.

VC++ from MS.
C++ Builder from Borland. used to be Turbo C.
GCC from GNU (free compiler for multiple processors (Intel, MIPS, etc).
DJGPP for DOS. (i''ve never used it, but i believe it''s free).

there are probably tons of c compilers. maybe try a search on any good search engine.

most people use VC++ probably because of the debugger (absolutely amazing) and the editor (code completion and classview are probably the best features), and MSDN (tho, this is available free on the web).

GCC is good for code you want to compile for multiple platforms.

i have personally been using VC++ since version 3 in ''94 i think.

The linker error msg is:
--------------------Configuration: TESTING - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
LIBCD.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16
Debug/TESTING.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1
unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

TESTING.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Actually what does that mean?
and is the book titled "Visual C++, programmers' guide" meant for VC++ newbies like me?

my winmain:
    int WINAPI WINMAIN(HINSTANCE hThisInst,HINSTANCE hPrevInst,                   LPSTR lpszArgs, int nWinMode){//code goes here}    

Edited by - savagerx on January 5, 2002 10:14:04 AM
The error message means the linker is looking for a function called WinMain, but it can''t find one. Change your WINMAIN to WinMain.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement