Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectPlay protocol

This topic is 5823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, does anyone know if there is a documentation of the protocol used by DirectPlay? I would like to re-implement (parts of) DirectPlay in Java to use it for writing a lobby application and perhaps a computer player agent. I already looked in the DirectX 8.1 SDK but found no information about it. There is some info in the Linux Wine project, but not really a complete description of the protocol. Many thanks for any hints - Muruvue

The DirectPlay protocol is mostly (or completely) proprietary. I didn''t even know WINE had tried to implement it before reading this post . If you want to reverse engineer it, have fun . It''s probably not even worth the effort unless you''re doing a API port like WINE is.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Actually, there are worse protocols to reverse engineer. The protocol isn''t encrypted as far as I can tell, and most of the stuff you see is really straight-forward if you know how UDP-based reliable protocols work.

I did some work on it once, and I was able to query for games at least, but I stopped working on it then.

cu,
Prefect