engine for rpg

Started by
12 comments, last by Phyrexian Mercenary 22 years, 3 months ago
What sort of API is best for a 3D rpg game, openGL or DX? Edited by - Phyrexian Mercenary on January 3, 2004 7:18:46 AM [Edited by - Phyrexian Mercenary on October 13, 2004 10:08:39 AM]
Advertisement
Sorry to burst any bubbles, but Blizzard Software is going on a premise of the first RPS (Role-Playing Strategy) game, in their upcoming(?) WarcraftIII. An excerpt from an article I found on WCIII here:
quote:Heroes: While most units will be handled the way typical RTS games do, WCIII will see the introduction of hero units with RPG elements and attributes. You can choose to go with super-brawny mega-warriors, or instead focus your attention on extreme spell-casters. Each hero will be able to gain experience that will increase their level, and thus increase their attributes ? strength, intelligence, agility. (To tell these heroes apart from their less-heroic counterparts, the heroes have all been given glowing weapons. And each of the races will have four heroes to choose from.)
WCIII will also focus more on strategy and less on resource management. Yes, you will still need to build your town and you still need to mine for gold to do so. But gold is now the ONLY resource you need to mine (compare that to gold and oil and lumber in WCII). Trees can still be cut down, but that will only be to clear land for your town to grow in. And oil, used for boats in WCII, isn?t necessary anymore as there will be no water units at all in WCIII. As Rob was quick to point out, this is not an idea that was dropped from the game. Rather, the game was designed around land and air units only. In addition, previous plans for the Undead race to mine corpses instead of gold have been changed, but more on that later.
Now, I''m a little confused with your statement "The thing is, we have a basic engine, it would be great if we had an engine..." - did you mean "...thing is, we NEED a basic engine, it would be great..."? Anyways... best of luck, and above all, have fun!

-------------- Tok --------------
~The Feature Creep of the Family~
--------------------------~The Feature Creep of the Family~
Well sword of aragon had

Heros
Army units
Special battles for heros only (ie fighting dragons)
CGA-EGA graphics
+ lots more features

This is really wierd, I have never played Warcraft nor seen anything about the lates Warcraft game.

[Edited by - Phyrexian Mercenary on October 13, 2004 10:52:09 AM]
quote:Phyrexian Mercenary said: it looks like as if they are doing what we wanted to do

This, you will find, isn't all that uncommon. I sometimes wonder if anyone has an original thought anymore
A few years ago someone on this board said something like "Never think that your thought is original and even if it is - it won't be long before someone else thinks {edit}of{/edit} the same thing."

Another item to note. One of the things that I like to do in the design of any new game is try to analyze all the other games in that particular genre that your game falls into. Designing somethign that has been done before is O.K. but - if you want your game to be new or have refreshing elements that noone has seen before {edit}you need to know what has been done{/edit}. But above all... make sure the game is fun! Design it to be fun and people will play...

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Edited by - Dak Lozar on January 3, 2002 2:22:01 PM
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Yeah, what you say is right Dark.

[Edited by - Phyrexian Mercenary on October 13, 2004 10:31:27 AM]
our game was going for an undead race, but WC3 knocked that off. our undead special unti was going to have the ability to ressurect itself. then we discovered they did the same in WC3. so we dropped the undead.

our website will soon be updated with in game screenshots of our game. will let you know when. they rock.

REVERIE Entertainment
SITE COMING SOON. (New one)
Hmm, Heroes of Might and Magic 1 to 3 are RPG/TBS crossovers... but yeah, turn based means "not realtime"

Still... it sounds a bit ambitious for people who don''t know how to write a 2D engine. (no offense)

Greetings,
Tweedledee
~phil
our engine is 2D, written by us. (Reverie) but its is so close to 3D that you won''t be able to tell. the only thing that a 3D can do that ours can''t is rotate around. thats it...
if you already have a 2d engine, you could add OpenGL support yourselves, its not as hard as it may sound, in fact I have recentlly started doing so with my engine so I can later add some 3d effects (though I dont think there will be much difference from the DirectDraw version until finished with the basic engine).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement