Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shurcool

boolean ops. support needed, but can't use BSP, any other suggestions???

hi, i am making a small 2d game, it's called war worms (http://www.warwormsdev.f2s.com/). it will feature real-time changed maps, and that's where i'm having trouble. for example, you start out with a small underground cave, but with every explosion, or bullet, hitting the ground, it will eat some, and leave a "crater". next time u open the map it will be the same cave again. for easy real-time collision detection, i will use polygons made of "line-strips" kind of structure. that means, that if there's a cave, a square based one (4 straight lines) 4 easy understanding. then u'd have a list of points, where 1st point is 1st vertex of the top line, and last point in list, will be 2nd vertex of 3rd line (not 4th, since i know it will be a connected loop, so it'll make the last line from 1st point in list, and last one). i will not use bsp, because it seems to be to be uneffective, because my maps will not be square. so here's the idea, where i need help, some suggestions of HOW TO GO about doing it. see how the explosion "mask" is applied over? i need to "SUBTRACT" it! :D but i don't know how... i've looked it up, and it's called boolean operations, and i need to know how to do: -subtraction -addition that's it! what i'm trying to get from above pic is this. i really need help with this, because i can't find anything that would help me, and no1 i know knows how to help me so any help would be very greatly appreciated! thanks in advance! thanks, shurcool Edited by - shurcool on January 3, 2002 4:55:56 PM

Err... I wouldn''t use polygons. It would be better to use a single bitmap as a background, and one as a level, with the alpha channel to decide where you can walk. An explosion simply erases a circle out of the level-bitmap, and adjusts the alpha channel. Just like the real wormds

-Maarten Leeuwrik
"Some people when faced with the end of a journey simply decide to begin anew I guess."

If you need to do 2d boolean operations, I *strongly* recommend the GPC boolean library by Alan Murta. It is small, fast, easy to use and extremly stable - the best free 2d boolean lib you can find.

It supports union, difference, intersection and XOR operations on any (concave and complex) polygon sets.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software

A.H aka Blueshift

hi,
i see what you mean, and i have considered the option, but i want to do it the way i described above, because it adds some nice features that i really need. i knew it''d be hard, that''s why i need a "push" in the right direction...

i also noticed that my images r down (stupid host), so i''ll fix that.

thanks,
shurcool

quote:
Original post by Blueshift
If you need to do 2d boolean operations, I *strongly* recommend the GPC boolean library by Alan Murta. It is small, fast, easy to use and extremly stable - the best free 2d boolean lib you can find.

It supports union, difference, intersection and XOR operations on any (concave and complex) polygon sets.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software

A.H aka Blueshift

thank you very much, that''s exactly what i was looking for! you''ve saved my life! thanks a lot.

thanks,
shurcool