Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone see what is wrong with this ?

This topic is 5824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1stly, apologies for the length of the post. (& I cannot get code to appear in a nice window, how do I do this ?) I am trying to load bitmaps from my own resource files. The following code does not work, and causes an assertion error in wingdi.cpp line 1120 I suspect that I am Not loading in the bitmap data to the bitmap correctly, can anyone see anything obvious or recommend any good places to look for further information ? I Hope so as I have spent all day on this one and am really stumped now. Any comments, help or suggestions will be greatfully recieved.... TIA, Bp This is the Drawing Function BOOL CTileEngine::DrawMap(CDC* pDC) { CBitmap my_bitmap; LPBITMAP lpBitmap = new BITMAP; // If Retrieve Bitmap (i.e. Load from Resource is True, then Successful load, Create Bmp. if (RetrieveBitmap(lpBitmap)) { my_bitmap.CreateBitmap(lpBitmap->bmWidth,lpBitmap->bmHeight,lpBitmap->bmPlanes, lpBitmap->bmBitsPixel,lpBitmap->bmBits); } CBrush pBrush; CRgn rgn; rgn.CreateEllipticRgn(150,-150,200,-250); pBrush.CreatePatternBrush(&my_bitmap); CBrush * poldBrush = pDC->SelectObject(&pBrush); pDC->PaintRgn(&rgn); //Restore the old Context pDC->SelectObject(poldBrush); } This is the Bitmap Loading Function (I know the code is probably clumsy and is not optimised, but I want to get the thing to work before I try to make it elegant !) BOOL CTileEngine::RetrieveBitmap(LPBITMAP lpBitmap, CString afile) { BITMAPFILEHEADER bfh; BITMAPINFOHEADER bi; BITMAPINFO bmi; BOOL retval = true; FILE *ResFile = fopen(afile,"rb"); //Error Checking //Read Bitmap File Header if ((fread(&bfh,sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER),1,ResFile))==NULL) { retval=false; AfxMessageBox(("Failed to Read File Header - /n%s",afile),MB_OK,-1); } if ((fread(&bi,sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER),1,ResFile))==NULL) { retval=false; AfxMessageBox(("Failed to Read File Header - /n%s",afile),MB_OK,-1); } //Check for the "BM" at the start of the file. if (retval) { if (bfh.bfType != 0x4D42) { AfxMessageBox(("File Problem with File %s",afile),MB_OK,-1); } else { lpBitmap->bmType = bfh.bfType; lpBitmap->bmWidth = bi.biWidth; lpBitmap->bmHeight = bi.biHeight; lpBitmap->bmWidthBytes = (bi.biWidth/8); lpBitmap->bmPlanes = bi.biPlanes; lpBitmap->bmBitsPixel = bi.biBitCount; lpBitmap->bmBits = bmi.bmiColors; } } fclose(ResFile); return retval; }

sorry, I can''t help you with the maibn post but to get the source code in the window you write

[ source ] and then to end u write [ / source]

(without the spaces....I added spaces to stop the board showing it as a window

like so:

int main()
{
do_menu();
return 0;
}

Dark Star
UK

But I don''t want to use LoadImage as this can be used to load a single bitmap from a file, I am trying to write code that can load either an area of a bitmap, or a single bitmap out of a tileset, I don''t want to have to manage dozens of files, just the one !

Playing around with the code today, I have found that by watching the memory the my_bitmap.CreateBitmap(...) function seems to be altering the Bitmap in my lpBitmap

Any more ideas or help ?

Bp.

Hi

LoadImage will work just fine for your purposes after all. You might not believe me, but just hear me out. You can arrange your tileset into a grid and store it as a single bitmap. Use LoadImage to load that tileset from a single bitmap, then write a cheap-and-dirty algo to select a sub-bitmap from the tileset bitmap and store it in an array of sub-bitmaps. If your tiles are of a uniform size, then you should have no problem at all with this scheme. Alternately, you can store the whole image in texture memory, and blit select portions of it on-screen. I know what you mean about not wanting to load a whole bunch of separate images. It''s a waste of time, space and is more CPU-intensive (imagine all those extra headers that are being loaded-in needlessly)...