Win32 API

Started by
5 comments, last by Puzzler183 22 years, 3 months ago
Where can I find a documetn that explains all functions in shell32.dll? I looked it up and I didn''t find anyhting good.
Advertisement
if you know the function names then just search "msdn.microsoft.com" on the actual function name.

if you want a listing of all the functions "exported" by the shell32.dll and you have vc++.

run "dumpbin /EXPORTS shell32.dll" to display all the exported functions in the shell32.dll. then you can more accurately search on the specific function names @ "msdn.microsoft.com".

"dumpbin.exe" is located in "c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\bin\".

i would assume "shell32.dll" is located in your windows system directory.

all Win32 API functions are thoroughly explained within the MSDN. use it, that what it''s there for.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Well I don''t have MS VC++ and I don''t know the exact function names so...
the (free) borland compiler comes with "tdump" which does the same thing. i imagine the commercial version also has this or something similar. i would bet that whatever compiler you use has something to that effect (look for EXE files with the word "dump" in it perhaps?)

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
im not sure if this is what you want. if the link doesnt work, go to msdn and search for "functions by category".

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win32/catfunc_26m1.asp
I dont think the Shell API functions are officially part of the Win32 API, which might explain why they are a bit tricky to find. Try this path in the online MSDN Library:
User Interface Design and Development->Windows Shell and Common Controls->SDK Documentation

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
you are right, Arild Fines, thats where they are listed. does Microsoft discourage developers from using them? i''ve never even seen them covered in any books i have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement