Two questions

Started by
1 comment, last by Jack P 22 years, 3 months ago
I had two questions. 1) Can the third party physics engine (ODE) be used for collision instead of BSP? Can this physics engine be used for collision of a building mesh? (in effect, allowing for use of mesh buildings as opposed to BSP buildings) 2) Does a BSP cast a shadow on the terrain? Thank You
Advertisement

The collision engine only works with some primitives (boxes, spheres, and cylinders). You can join primitives together to build more complex shapes, so if you are happy with low detail buildings you could do this. There is also some collision code for arbitrary polygon lists that is being developed but I don''t know if it''s working yet or how fast it is.

I can see people using this to make cities with big boxlike buildings. I''m also interested in adding support for the terrain engine by keeping a polygon list around an object that matches the terrain polygons underneath it. That could open up many possibilities.

2. Yes. You can use either hard stencil bufferred shadows or the soft shadows done in software rendering. Just click on the appropriate checkbox in LStudio to try each method.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

Thank you for the answers.

I just had one more question. Does PR have any plans to support Gmax?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement