Advertisement Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShilohRain

Gap between Skybox & Terrain

This topic is 6121 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to get rid of the blank space between the ground and the sky. Where can this change be made? I thought it was in one of the .pcx files but I all attempts & alterations failed. In essence, to make the sky meet the ground in the distance. Can anyone help?

Advertisement
Yes , I have got the same problem ,
it''s not looking good to have that gap between
the sky and the terrain ,
I am thinking of making a spherical skybox....
would it be worked?

The default sky box is a cube with 6 textures (one on each side, top, and bottom). It''s essentially a PRO file with the double side property set on the materials (So you can see the texture on the inside).

I''ve been experimenting with this lately and have found that you can use any .pro file as a skybox but it should be a hollow sort of shape. The only issues are to do with texturing. A standard 3D sphere has really messy warping at the two points withere all the longitude lines come together. I''m thinking a good shape would be a geodesic dome of some kind.

Done a bit of playing around with the cloudplanes too...but so far that hasn''t been very fruitful.

What am I doing wrong? The light/aqua colored gap between ground and sky is really distracting. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to fix/lower this?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!