Burning PS2 CDs?

Started by
7 comments, last by TUna 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m having a bit of difficulty burning a PS2 cd. What settings need to be used? I can''t seem to get CDRWIN to use my boot image, and Nero burns the CD but then the PS2 doesn''t execute them properly - it "locks up" at the playstation logo screen. I''m trying to create the NapLink CD (http://naplink.napalm-x.com) so that I can easily test my PS2 code. Thanks
Advertisement
It''s more than likely one of three things:

1) An incorrect system.cnf file
2) A missing/misplaced/invalid executable
3) A missing/misplaced/invalid IRX

The fact that it got the the logo screen is a good sign that it found *something* - the fact that it didn''t get past it means its probably your fault.

(note: this is the things I would check when burning a CD for use on a real debug station. I have no idea if it is the same for a modchipped home system.)

-scott
I''m testing the code on a debug station, it''s not a chipped home system.

Heres what my system.cnf looks like (direct from the naplink release):

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\NAPLINK.ELF;1
VER = 1.10
VMODE = NTSC

Does that look correct? I''m not quite sure what the ;1 is for? Should that be there? Should that be part of the filename?

Should there be some specific order in the way I place the files on the disk?

The files could be corrupt, but I doubt it as they are direct from the naplink homesite.

Thanks again
Yeah, the ;1 is ok - it''s part of the filename necessary for CD access. (version number? I can''t remember - it''s part of the ISO standard, tho)

Everything else is ok, too. (cdrom should be in lower case, everything else in upper, \ instead of /, etc.)

I think you can safely check off the system.cnf as the culprit.

As for the files, NAPLINK.ELF should be in the root of the directory - also make sure that any .irx it needs is where it needs it. (hmm - i just looked and the distribution quickly - it looks like they should just be at the root...)

Is there any chance you have a PAL debug station?

Sorry I can''t be any more help...

-scott
Nope, its definately NTSC.

I should be burning the CD in ISO Mode2? And setting the boot image to naplink.elf?

Theres no other special settings I need to look out for?

What software do you use for burning the CDs?

Thanks
Yeah, it should be Mode2/2352 bytes per sector? (I''m not sure if that number''s right...)

Hmm, I don''t think you need to mess with the boot image - that sounds like it adds extra info the disc that the PS2 might hate you for.

We actually go through a pretty complicated process that involves CDVDGen (which is Sony''s official burning program that only works with specific Sony burners).

Actually, I''m curious as to how they expect it to work - I thought there needed to be some important info on the disc (region encoding, among other things). Perhaps naplink was only meant to work on modchipped systems?

Cheers,
-scott
Does the PS2 support any other formats than ISO 9660 Mode 2? I''ve checked out the ISO standard and it says the "-" is not a valid filename character.

The two naplink .irx files have -''s in them. So as far as I can see this can''t work in Mode 2, however other people have managed to get this to work.
Hmm. The only thing I could think of is the difference between a modchipped home unit and an official debug box...it''s entirely possible that the methods used to circumvent the cd/dvd check is allowing the naplink CD to execute as well - so far as I understand it, the naplink thing was made for home users...

So, since you have a debug unit, do you have access to CDVDGen? If you don''t, it''s available on Sony''s dev site (assuming you''re a licensed dev - and not just someone who happened to come across a dev unit. ). There''s also a program there that supposedly lets you convert CDVDGen->ISO to burn with Nero or EZCD, but I personally have not gotten that to work...(it thought our PS2 game was a PS1 disc (and still wouldn''t boot it))

-scott
Thanks for the help, I''ve found a contact whos supposidly got this to work on a dev station, will let you know how I progress.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement