is Carmack trying to piss people off?

Started by
27 comments, last by Promit 22 years, 3 months ago
I was browsing the Quake 2 source the other day, and i found:

#if 0
There was some regular comment here. I don''t have the text with me, but it was definitely a comment!
#endif

What the hell is the point of that?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
what would piss you off?
wanting the quake2 source and not being able to get your hands on it?
or finding a comment you didn''t understand?

i think he''s been quite generous with the release of (several) of id''s
top selling games'' source code.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
You missed the point entirely. Read the last sentence of last post.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
There was probably some debug code there before. Are you sure it was only a comment, maybe it was commented out code. Do you know the line\cpp?
Who knows, maybe he had something temporary there... like:

#if IAmDebugging
//Comments here:
DisplayDebugInfo();
#endif

Then once he was releasnig the sources, he took out all refrences to DisplayDebugInfo and did a search/replace for all IAmDebugging and changed them to a 0 or something.. who the hell knows, and who cares.. he wrote an awesome game/engine, and handed you the source code for free... and you''re complaining about some comment? WTF?

Billy
Frankly, I''m incredibly pissed off!. I mean, of all the nerve. Just who does he think he is??
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
DAMMIT! GET THE MEDIA ON THE PHONE!! THE WAR ON TERRORISM IS OVER, NOW HE NEED TO DECLARE WAR ON COMMENTS!
At least people have a sense of humor. I''m not serious about all that. Some people are way too tense sometimes.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
quote:Original post by CrazedGenius
Frankly, I''m incredibly pissed off!. I mean, of all the nerve. Just who does he think he is??

Lol.

Maybe Carmack was looking for different ways to piss people off, thus the pointless piece of code. He tackled the problem from a different perspective. Just when you thought Q3 code was clean, comments now have added Q3-dependant functionality that requires the preprocessor.
It probably wasn''t even Carmack. Other guys at id got the code ready to ship, I believe. Anyway, who cares if there''s a wise@$$ comment in there? I''m sure all of us have put something similar in our programs at one time or another...

/* handle the errors here
we shouldn''t have any errors, unless the moron
at the keyboard tries to attack his own units */

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement