Confused(Opengl or DirectX)

Started by
43 comments, last by Buzz82 22 years, 3 months ago

OpenGL = Ying & DirectX = Yang..........
both must be present it order to preserve the balance of game programming.
Advertisement
lol jenova .. if you actually read all the posts you would have realized there ARE alot of them that say advantage/disadvantage of using one API over the other...the people posting here weren''t trying to argue..

.."i use Direct3D therefore it''s better.

or

i use OpenGL so it''s gotta be better"

There ARE reasons why one API is better than the other and has nothing to do with what you stated above. Before you put your 2cents in, you should get all the info and take the time to actually read every post first BEFORE you decide what to say and give yourself the "Ignorant stamp of approval".

"Stupidity has always been and always will be the fall of mankind"
personally the greatest benifit of opengl over d3d is 80-90percent of the 3d tut''s/code examples are written with opengl.
also another point is with each new version of opengl u can keep using your old code unlike d3d where book ''blah blah for d3d7'' is rendered obsolete with the release of d3d8.

though this''ll change in 6months with the release of opengl2.0 though apparently its still gonna be backward compatible
AP: if you say so. there isn''t an argument posted that defines one API a winner over the other.

DirectX encompasses (dinput, dsound, dplay, etc). who cares i going to use the API that allows me to develop the best product regardless if i have to use 2, 3 or 10 API''s. this is a personal choice that only the coder can make (do i want to use 1 or 2 API''s?).

DirectX is only available on Windows. well, if someone really wanted to use DirectX on another platform all they would have to do is implement it on the particular platform (and yeah i know they wouldn''t be able to call it DirectX). there may be slight changes (i.e. COM stuff) but nothing a few "#ifdef"''s couldn''t take care of. this again is a personal choice.

OpenGL is easier to use. well it is IMHO. but again that''s relative to the programmer. some people like using MFC because it''s easy to get things gooing. i don''t, because i don''t think along the lines of MFC (old school coder). it''s a personal choice.

OpenGL looks better graphically. ok, this is utter b/s. it''s the same hardware. furthermore, "better" is a relative word. WHAT''s better (lighting, performance, pixel shaders, etc).
personal choice.

DirectX is Microsoft''s ploy to lock everyone into the Windows environment. this is the only post that is an absolute truth, IMHO. OF COURSE WE CAN ONLY SPECULATE. but if we look at their track record, i wouldn''t put it past them.

OpenGL is better because id software uses it. although i agree with John Carmack. and always have. in fact i thought OpenGL was much better even before i played glQuake. unfortunately, this is not an argument. this is a statement about the preferences of one man (or company). it''s your choice to agree with him or not.

do you want me to continue, i didn''t think so.

now you may think that i''m just some smart ass who tries to talk down to people. well, i''m not. if you want to keep arguing this pointless debate, go ahead. it''s your time. but the simplest way to find the answer for yourself, is to try both API''s and decide which one conforms more to your style or preference. it''s a presonal preference, and YOU KNOW IT.

peace.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
a.) You haven''t helped the original topic starter much.
b.) Are the kids done arguing? We all know the proverb "do not argue with a fool, because observers will not be able to tell the difference." D3D... OGL... whatever. Just write some fucking code. Bitch-ass fools sitting around here flaming each other over (perceived) merits and demerits of advanced graphics APIs rather than using them to create something worthwhile.

In the future, don''t waste GameDev''s bandwidth and server space.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement