Simple PC Games Market

Started by
8 comments, last by yanuart 22 years, 3 months ago
I want to start up a game development company but we''re not aiming for the big market where the big boyz are We''re intented to make simple and fun games such as tetris, puzzle games, racing games (mario kart, etc) Is there a chance for us to survive ?? Is there a publisher who are willing to publish our games ??
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
Advertisement
I think there is a market for "simple" games like this, but don''t expect to have your games put on display at compusa (unless it is in one of those "50,000 games" cd''s)

You will probrally have success if you write games, design a nice web site and sell your product as shareware.

Take a look at Snood''s success. (Perhaps you may want to look into Game Boy Advace Programming which is a pretty new market.)

SK
I''ll just second skreuzer''s recommendation to look into game boy advance programming. Although you''d have to deal with Nintendo eventually to publish a game, the market is potentially much larger for simple games on GBA than on PC''s. The tools, compilers and all are somewhat primitive (I think you can use a GNU C++ compiler and a special assembler?), but freely available. Check out this site:

http://www.gbadev.org/

There is a growing hobby developer community, quite a good number of small example programs, several emulators that run on Windows. Heck, you don''t even have to own a GBA to do development and test your game!

Also, from www.lik-sang.com, you can buy re-writeable GBA EPROM cartridges for a reasonable price, maybe around US$100.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Where can one get information on dealing with nintendo for developing for GBA? I tried www.nintendo.com but havent found information on GBA development.

Im not sure if im right but, I think that in order to legally distribute and sell GBA games you need to pay nintendo royalties, and thus would like to know how to make a deal with nintendo before even starting developing for GBA.

Edited by - dxantos on January 9, 2002 4:13:06 PM
quote:Original post by skreuzer
I think there is a market for "simple" games like this, but don''t expect to have your games put on display at compusa (unless it is in one of those "50,000 games" cd''s)

You will probrally have success if you write games, design a nice web site and sell your product as shareware.

Take a look at Snood''s success. (Perhaps you may want to look into Game Boy Advace Programming which is a pretty new market.)

SK

so, it''s possible to have people download and then charge for the full version still? cool. how much do you think it would cost to set up a download server, and transaction software?

a2k

------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
quote:
so, it''s possible to have people download and then charge for the full version still? cool. how much do you think it would cost to set up a download server, and transaction software?

Of course its still possible!
anyway, it costs very little for a download server nowadays - there are some companies that offer unlimited bandwidth which can be used as a backup and slightly more expensive servers to rent cost a bit more with anything from around 1 - 10 gigs transfer.

Of course theres always renting out a dedicated server which might be a little over the top when your just starting out heh.

In regards to the transaction software, I woudl say the most popular method would be to use external methods such as http://www.shareit.com. You do have to pay a slight commission for the service but heck, I reckon its much better than publishers rates (although the downside being you have to concentrate on getting your own marketing sorted).

I hope at least some of the info was of use

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
I can see that GBA it''s not so hard to develop, all I need is just me and a couple of artists to do the art, it looks like that an independent game developer can do it, but how to get to the bussiness ?? It''s so hard to get informations how to become a GBA developer, can somebody help me ??
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
yanuart:

GBA development is indeed simpler compared to PC and console development.

However any games you make with hobbyist equipment (the gbadev, flash linkers etc) CAN NOT be sold publically. The hardware and documentation you''ll find is *very* likely to be in violation of Nintendo copyrights and patents.

To do it commercially, you''ll need to form a real company, and have a track record in the development of commercial software. You''ll also need the money to be able to afford the official devkit (and stuff like ROM burners if you''re doing serious work).

Check out the other thread in this forum for some links to contact e-mail addresses for becoming a registered Nintendo developer:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=74269

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote:Original post by dxantos
Where can one get information on dealing with nintendo for developing for GBA? I tried www.nintendo.com but havent found information on GBA development.

I expect they keep that information as closed as possible to avoid, well, the riff-raff so-to-speak, .

Your best bet would be to work with a game agent, who will absolutely know how to get in touch with the right people at Nintendo. Try these two agencies:

www.red-la.com
www.octagon1.com

I trust R.E.D. more than Octagon, since I''ve actually worked with R.E.D. in the past. I don''t sense that Octagon is as aggressive as R.E.D. And I know that R.E.D. has at least met with Nintendo folks.

quote:Original post by dxantos
Im not sure if im right but, I think that in order to legally distribute and sell GBA games you need to pay nintendo royalties, and thus would like to know how to make a deal with nintendo before even starting developing for GBA.

That is an IMPORTANT comment! You are indeed correct. You must deal with Nintendo and pay a royalty to legally distribute/sell GBA games.

BUT, as with getting publishing deals, your chances of signing on with Nintendo might be greatly improved if you have a demo, . These freely available hobby development tools for GBA may be a great way to build a demo to show to Nintendo at, say, the E3 conference in a meeting arranged by your new agent...

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Currently the only way to become a registerd Ninetendo AGB developer is to find a publisher willing to sign you up to develop a game. This is because there are so many AGB developers (over 400) that Nintendo don''t need more developers supporting the platform.

The only way to get a publisher to sign you up is to create a demo on the AGB. The best way to do that is to get unofficial dev systems. Info on that was provided by grhodes_at_work in his earlier post above.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement