Recoil

Started by
12 comments, last by BioSquirrel 22 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by quarnin
MassOfMan*VelocityOfManBeforeStrike + MassofBullet*VelocityofBullet = MassofMan*VelocityofManAfterStrike

Shouldn't that be:

MassOfMan*VelocityOfManBeforeStrike + MassofBullet*VelocityofBullet = (MassofMan+MassofBullet)*VelocityofManAfterStrike + LossOfMomentum
?
I know the mass-difference is very small most of the time but the loss-part is because there is no such thing as a completely rigid body.

[EDIT]Hmm, I just considered that I am assuming that the bullet sticks into the person, so perhaps the mass should be MassofMan afterall. [/EDIT]

Edited by - Scarab0 on January 10, 2002 2:47:34 PM
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
Advertisement
Naw, you''re right... if the bullet went through then it would equal

= velocity_of_man*mass_of_man + velocity_of_bullet_after_slashing_through_the_mans_flesh*mass_of_bullet

Then you''d have TWO things to calculate...
Although I guess you could just slow the bullet down based on the thickness of the man/object that it punches through... with some info about density (it would slow down more if it was going through a sheet of metal, rather than a man)... but that wouldn''t be much fun, would it? (on second thought... maybe it would...)
Just use the conservation of momentum. Conservation of energy might not work because you lose energy in sound/resistance of the air, etc.

Moe''s site
For rigid bodies, use then conservation of momentum theorem..

P1+P2=P1''+P2''

P(m1v1)+P(m2v2)=P(m1''v1'')+P(m2''v2'')

m1 = mass of bullet
v1 = velocity of bullet
m2 = mass of object hit
v2 = velocity of object

If bullet remains inside object, the 2 masses would be added before multiplied by the velocity.

I''m doing this off the top of my head, so read into it a bit for better implementation. Check out momentum in some search engine or book, and you''ll get what you need.

Note however, that since the accuracy will get in the way of speed in situations like this, you don''t need exact values but just approximations at best.. think of using a scalar instead of actual formulas for instance..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement