Gimballock

Started by
4 comments, last by level10boy 22 years, 3 months ago
Anybody know a way around gimballock, which is the effect you get when producing a matrix that rotates around three axis in one go. For example, after rotating a cube around all three axis, up and down just aint what it should be. Thanks
Advertisement
D3DXGimbalKey

or

Try using quaternion (or the matrix axis/angle functions). What exactly are you trying to do?
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
Just trying to rotate a craft around all three axis at the same time. This is OK but when I go to translate the object again things behave very strange. Just want a fix.
maybe you should do the transformations for each axis seperately, although there might be cases where you would want to transform in all three axes simultaneously.
If you''re just worried about Gimbal Lock with the camera I have some code in the thread: "I need advice on D3DTS_WORLD transforms" that does the job...If you want to transform *objects* with this method then you''re in the same boat as me. I have no clue why it won''t work correctly.

Email me if you want a copy of my camera class.
Can someone explain this problem more clearly to me? I''m intrigued...

- seb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement