(newbie) OpenGL in Unix

Started by
1 comment, last by Fleecebeast 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi there, I''ve been working in C/C++ for a while now (6 months) and programming for longer, but I''m a student and for all our work we use Unix machines - i.e. we use gcc to compile our programs. I''m interesting in starting in OpenGL, but I''m totally clueless how to do it. What should I download and where should I put it on my machine? Is there a specific code format (namely, from the tutorials) that I should use in Unix, or will pretty much any of them do? I guess these might be big questions, but any and all help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks, Fleecebeast
Advertisement
All of the purely OpenGL code is completely portably between OS''s. However, you''ll probably want to use the GLX/Linux or SDL ports of the tutorials. Download one of the lesson ports and compile it. If when you run it it is really slow, make sure you have drivers that will accelerate OpenGL under *nix (NVidia only puts out drivers for Linux, no others unixes, unfortunetly). If you can''t find drivers for your video card, you may have to work through software rendering (which sucks ).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
http://www.mesa3d.com
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement