Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saeZ

Lighting effects in OGL-iso

Hi, I need some decent light effects to my engine. I know this type of topics has been gone through here many times before, but I haven't yet found a solution to implement lights to iso-engine that would work for me. I'm looking for a method to do Diablo 2 -type of lights, meaning: SMOOTH, COLORED, BEAUTIFUL. Here's part of my simple map structure: class maparray { public: int tile[4]; int spr[4]; ... int light_intensity; ... }; My engine uses OGL. My current light implementation is tile-based lights with vertex coloring. Each tile has its own light_intensity -value. Light vertices blend together (reading the neighbor tile light value) so that one can't see the lighting is tile-based due to the smoothness, BUT because of the nature of tile-based lights, the light co-ordinates aren't fixed so if I move the light, it moves in steps between tiles. Yes it works, but I'm far from satisfied. The lights don't interact with each other correctly. I had to write a terrible hack just to make the lights blend with each other, not ignoring each other's values. For that, I have two different light tables: unsigned int ltable1[width*height], unsigned int ltable2[width*height]. I use ltable2 as a temporary storage for light values, where I write a light before I throw the values to the map array itself. After the values are written into ltable2, I take the average values like this: avg = (int)(ltable1[] + ltable2[]) / 2. Then I write the ltable2 to ltable1, so that it has the just written light storaged there. The I copy the avg value(s) to the map array like this: for(...) Map[layer][y][x].light_intensity = avg; --- Man, don't you just hate this? I know I do. Any ideas how to make GOOD and REAL lighting effects (that look good)? I have checked Razorblade's dynamic lighting method, but I can't implement it to my engine since my engine is pure 2D (I don't have the vertex data stored in anywhere). --- class PLight { public: int x, y; int radius; void Set(int X, int Y, int rad); }; --- That looks clean and simple, but ... I'm a bit lost here. Help? Thank you for your time. saeZ Edited by - saeZ on January 14, 2002 4:59:53 AM

All you need to do is add the values of each channel for your lights! If there are three lights; A, B, and C; and you want to light tile X, then:

X.r = A.r + B.r + C.r
X.g = A.g + B.g + C.g
X.b = A.b + B.b + C.b

Of course, you''ll want to have some sort of check so that you can''t add beyond the maximum value. Remember that for an unsigned char 255+1=0!

D''oh.. shouldn''t of used that "!" icon on my posting. That was stupid of me. Oh well...

Thanks for the reply TerranFury. But what I really want to know is how to do lighting effects in farely advanced yet still easy way. If I have a pointlight class, I would like to add lights where ever I want. I know how to do that, believe me. But what I''m thinking is how to DRAW the actual light. I already have tile-based lighting. I know I was unclear in my post, but what I want to know is how to make nice light effects that are NOT tile-based. Tile-based is okay, BUT I can''t move the light without making it jump in 64x32 (my tile size) -pixel steps.

I guess lightmaps are out of the question because I don''t have vertex data stored in anywhere. All the vertices that show on the screen are ALL the vertices there actually is. My OGLiso-engine works just like 2d iso''s work. There''s nothing special about my engine. No actual 3D used at all.

B''hey, how would I make dynamic lighting? Razorblade''s tutorial was good, but it didn''t explain the actual light drawing thing.
Help?

saeZ