Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kiwikind

where does a total beginner start?

kiwikind    122
Hi sorry for asking what is no doubt a very boring question to most of you by now, but... wheres the best place to start programming practise? Do you have to download software for the language? I have no idea whatsover! A few pointers would be great-and Im sure the general advice is walk before you run, but Id like to start off with a language/application that will at least give pretty good results from the get go. Im open to any ideas or hints you may have thanks in advance

THE Omega    122
About a year or two ago, when we realized there would always be someone else that''s interested in starting programming, the Gamedev staff made it quite easy to answer this question.

Look at the top of this site. See all those links to various parts of the page? See the Resources column? See the "For Beginners"? link? Just head there.

The one piece of advice I can give you right now is to learn your programming first before ever thinking about games. I know it sounds boring, but ya gotta learn to walk before learning to run.

Good luck,
Omega