Source Control

Started by
7 comments, last by Salec 22 years, 3 months ago
Hey everyone, Ok, I''m in quite a pickle. Currently, my development team and I are in the process of working on a rather sweet game engine. Developing the engine has not been that much of a problem either. Each developer knows what they are to do and focuses on that aspect of the engine. The problem that I am facing (and have been for some time) is source control. My development team spans from New Mexico to Denmark. We are all over the place. Unfortunatly, Microsoft SourceSafe will only work on a LAN. Unless you want to purchase sourceOFFsite which is incredibly expensive. I''ve attempted to run a vpn (virtual private networking) server to allow the developers to connect and be as if they were on the LAN but vpn has proven to be much harder than it sounds. Getting people to show up on the network etc. is rather hard. I''ve also tried using CVS for NT. This did not work as well either. CVS may work well on linux, but it crashes every 5min. on Windows. If anyone knows any good source control programs that will work on Windows 2k server and that is fairly cheap (or free!) PLEASE tell me!! I need as much advise as I can get on this subject. Thanks -Salec
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Salec
I''ve also tried using CVS for NT. This did not work as well either. CVS may work well on linux, but it crashes every 5min. on Windows.
-Salec

I''ve been running CVSNT on Win2K for about 4 months without a single crash - this sounds like a typical case where problems are caused by UI and not the product in question.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Perhaps I should rephrase that
Every windows cvs client I have used crashes several times per use. Also I''d really like something that would integrate well with Visual Studio.
I havent had a problem with the client either(WinCVS in my case, although I have dabbled with the commandline client). I still say its UI.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time is called the Dark Ages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Have you tried WinCVS 1.2 not the 1.3 beta tree? Also, Jalindi Igloo is a CVS plug in for Visual Studio that implements the SCC API. It allows you to check files in and out from VC++. You can check it out at http://www.wincvs.org. There is also a link to Jalindi Igloo there as well.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com

Edited by - grasshopa55 on January 9, 2002 9:21:25 AM
-----------------------------kevin@mayday-anime.comhttp://www.mayday-anime.com
I use WinCVS and I''ve never had a crash in the client.
I''ve tried both versions of WinCVS (1.3 and 1.2) Both crashed quite a bit. I''ve also tried them on several platforms such as Windows 2k pro and server as well as Windows XP. I just read somewhere that if you create a network place and point it to a webfolder that has a sourcesafe database on it, you can connect to that database. Is this true!?! This would make everything VERY simple
I don''t understand what you mean when you say that you can''t use Visual Sourcesafe except on a LAN. I have a VSS server set up at home that I have no problem accessing from work. It''s slower (I only have 40K upstream from my Cable Service), but it still works.
How do you access it at work!??!?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement