Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wavewash

Drapping a Terrain w/ a texture

Wavewash    202
I''ve heard many people talk about how they "drape" their terrain with a large texture and then add a detail texture. I created a 1024x1024x24bit terrain texture that I tried to drape over my terrain which is created from a heightmap that is only 256x256. What I got was VERY blocky texturing. I saw big ol'' chunks of color from the texture on my terrain. The color wasn''t smooth as I expected it would be. Did I misunderstand this "drape" technique? The following link is to a post i did a while back where NewFrame described his technique which I tried to duplicate. http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=69751 If you would like to see my terrain go to: http://www.opticuslabs.com/terrainsc" The pictures are in chronological order from what the program was from its'' start to where it is now. The last picture is my screwed up roam algorithm implementation. Any help would be appreciated. ~~Wave

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you drape a 1024x1024 image over a 256x256 terrain map.. you will get 1024/256x1024/256 (4x4) pixels in each Quad (4 points). That''s like putting a 4x4 bitmap across each quad in your heightmap (or each 2 triangles if you please). If you don''t have any filtering (linear or bi-linear) it will look pretty darn blocky. With filtering, it will looked really washed out and blurred.... BUT, that''s what the detail textures are for. You would use that drape to make things like shadows and stuff (typically), and they are blurred (soft shadows) and then you''d use multi-texturing (or a second pass) to put the "detail" texture (with mip-mapping) over each of the quads (or 2 triangles) so that it has some detail to it instead of being really blurry.

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
No problem, any more questions, email me at BillyB@mrsnj.com.

3dModelMan    204
Just thought I''d show you what I achieved with texturing my height-map based terrain just a couple of days ago:

Screen shot.

This was done be calculating the texture coords dependent on height of the vertex, and using a simple texture like this.

Although this suits my needs perfecly, it could probably be best used as another blending technique on top of what Billy described above. I thought it looked pretty cool for a first attempt .

I had to blank out the game specific stuff in the screen shot though .

Cheers

Matt

Wavewash    202
Wow, that is fairly impressive. I wouldn''t have expexted that technique to come out as well as it did. I would implement that technique into my terrain renderer but I am really trying to get the textures to be very vivid and detailed like they did in halo. Also there is a technique called Spattering I beleive that has VERY impressive results also that I may look into.

Thx for the replys
~~Wave