How do you guys do this? (DX8)

Started by
2 comments, last by MindWipe 22 years, 3 months ago
And what do I mean by this. I mean the Texture & Device format in Direct Graphics (DX8)? The problem I''m talking about is getting a functional texture and device format. It''s easy to do this hard core depending on your computer, but if you want it to run on any DX8 compatible computer. And if you want to just select 16 or 32bit hardcore and then want it to get a working format. I check Zero-Ones Wrapper and tried it his way, but I got once a invalid texture format :/ but it should have happened because I tried many of those format and they have worked. My primary problem could be how to use this: CheckDeviceFormat The problem is that there are two D3DFORMATs and I know one is the one you testm but what''s the other one!? How do you guys solve this problem? It could be great to just be able to send 16 or 32 as an parameter /MindWipe "If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Advertisement
Why don''t you use the Common Files Framework. It is a beautiful piece of code. In case you don''t know: It''s a framework coded & tested for compatibility by the *big* guys. It takes care of windows initialization, setting up a directx render target/surface/whatev-u-want-2-call-it.

It gets everything set up so that you can just start coding your directx stuff, and not worry about all that formats and modes. It is especially useful if you''re just starting out with directx programming. Some people prefer it, others dont...

You''ll probably find loads of documentation on MS''s website.

idx
to code or not to code, that is the algorithm
Thanks for that! I hadn''t even noticed that. Thanks

/MindWipe

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Did you look at CheckDeviceType() ?
-------Homepage: http://www.pclx.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement