Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

piracy

This topic is 5817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

could anyone tell me how much money is lost annually in the computing industry (games,applications,etc.)through piracy,or where i could get some information on this topic

I did a quick search on "Software Piracy revenue loss" and found some links.

http://www.siia.net/sharedcontent/press/2000/5-24-00.html

This one is for 1999 and indicated 1 in 3 business applications in use in 1999 were pirated and that the software industry for US and Canada was about $3.6 billion.

I would try to find a less biased example. Microsoft publishes industry loss numbers, but given they''re drive to eliminate it, it makes sense.

Piracy is a big problem. I think the disgruntled worker turning in his big company for piracy forced a lot of companies to actually do license audits internally in the past few years (MS had the FBI seize company equipment and pretty much bust their business for a few weeks while they checked for valid licenses).

On top of the revenue losses, you also have companies investing a lot of money to avoid more revenue losses, which just drives up the cost of distribution. I work for a major enterprise software development company and we have an entire department dedicated to license tracking and monitoring. We also have several dedicated programmers just developing secure licensing methods.

I will say this though, in my personal life, I do have some pirated software on my PC. I would try to justify it by saying I rarely use my copy of office, but who am I kidding...it''s still pirated.

Say I only represent 3% of the total users with Office installed, that''s still 3% revenue loss based on units sold. And I think 3% is really, really, really low. That 3% can easily make or break a company''s profit margin.

R.