Suggestions for a low weight distro.....

Started by
11 comments, last by wrenhal 22 years, 2 months ago
I''m looking for a low weight distro (under 200mb''s for descent install) to use to learn Linux. I''m looking at Peanut, Vector or Dragon, although if you have other suggestions they don''t have to be able to install without partitioning as I know how to do that. I want shell, X, and basic Internet and other utilities but other distros like Redhat and Suse seem to be hard pressed to get down under 400mb from what I''ve heard. Am I wrong???? BeS It''s Da BOMB Baby!!! . o O ~ A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men ~ O o . -- Willy Wonka
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Advertisement
Use the BigSlack distrobution. It''s more or less a trial version, and as far as I know, runs off of a UMSDOS partition. I''m not positive if it has X and such, but I think it does (as opposed to ZipSlack, which will fit on a 100MB zip disk, but does not have X).

rm -rf /bin/laden
You can just install what you need.. like not installing X or all of the goodies. I''m experimenting with a web server with only the things that I actually need.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

quote:Original post by GoofProg
You can just install what you need.. like not installing X or all of the goodies. I''m experimenting with a web server with only the things that I actually need.

Most distro''s SAY their miniumum install is going to be around 400mb or higher. That tells me that I would have to REALLY tweak the installation more than I want to right now. I just want something that installs easily so I can get to the OS quicker than normal.
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Well, some distros don''t let you pick and choose EXACTLY what to put on. Slackware (noticing a bias? ), however, will let you choose to put each and every little piece of software, save the few that are absolutely necessary for running the system, if you so choose. (The BigSlack and ZipSlack versions are essentially a scaled-down version of slack, only they fit on a UMSDOS partition, which makes it nice for people who''d rather give linux a try without having to do any repartitioning.)

rm -rf /bin/laden
www.linuxfromscratch.org

i build full systems in less than 100mb. it can probably be done in close to 50mb.

saai
I don''t have the URL on me at the moment, but look for Tiny Linux. I believe 50Mb is all you need. Or something radical like that!

---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Thanks for all the ideas guys.
Don''t stop them though, if you have more then keep them coming. Although I know how and am not afraid of it, I think I''ll not repartition (mainly because my wife is scared I''ll lose her e-bay stuff). So BigSlack sounds interesting. I''ll keep looking around as I won''t be doing this for another week or so.
I forget what any of the names of these are, but there are also quite a few distros that are designed to fit on a few floppies (in fact, many of the original linuxes were distributed like this).

rm -rf /bin/laden
Any other opinions or suggestions?????

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement