Planet Surface Generation

Started by
4 comments, last by EAX 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I want to make a planet surface generator that calculates how the planet''s surface will look depending on the solar system''s x,y coordinate, and it''s orbit number, but I need an algorithm that will generate mountain ranges, and bodies of water... I was thinking I could use a heightmap, but I wouldn''t know how to generate that. Also the east and west sides of the map would need to line up, along with the north and south. It would have to look like a planet''s surface too. Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, EAX
EAX
Advertisement
Both Hugo Elias and Paul Bourke have done articles on this. Check time out.
"Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for an evening.Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life!"-Unknown
The algorithm eco linked is alright, but it doesn''t scale well for high detail and is not good if you want a dynamic lod scheme. If you want high detail or something that will make lod easier you should read this article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010302/oneil_01.htm
Thanks for the links.
Although i was looking for something a little simpler... more 2D. It doesn't have to be spherical, rectangular will do.
Just something to be able to select a landing spot, land on and explore.

Thanks,

EAX

Edited by - EAX on January 10, 2002 11:56:26 AM
EAX
I''ve been thinking about some of the articles linked to above, trying o figure out a way to implement it in a 2d rectangle. Maybe I could just have my rectangular map of whatever size, and instead of cutting a sphere in half, just randomly place a circle on the map, of random size, with any part of the circle falling off of the edge of the map looping to the other side, and raising the land inside the circle and lowing it outside the circle. That way I would think it would give the same effect, but I''m not sure, as it is untested.

I think I will try this method and see if it gives me the results I want, and if it does, it''s the method I''ll use. anyway, thanks for the links everyone!

EAX
EAX
Well I tried the method I mentioned above, but it''s slow... very slow.
I''m thinking of using Perlin noise now, but I''m not sure how I''ll get the top of the rectangle to connect smoothly to the bottom and the left and right to do the same.

I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has used Perlin noise before and knows what they are doing.

Anyway, thanks,

EAX
EAX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement