Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cass

A bit off topic.. PS2 video signal..

Cass    122
Ah, not sure where else to ask this, not a damn soul I can find can tell me my problem. I have dvd sound playback problems with my PS2 when I hook it into a TV using RF jack, or the RCA''s. (the yellow, red/white cords.. I think thats what they are called). Anyway, to solve this problem, I hook my PS2''s sound into my stereo. bam, sound plays in the stereo when I turn on the system. perfect. Now the video feed.. (yellow). I have a gold plated adapater, which changes the yellow video feed into a male BNC (coaxial type plug).. then i have a silver double female BNC plug, so i screw that into the first convertor, and "supposedly" have turned the signal into a female BNC connector. i have a double male cable, which i plug into the convertor, and then into the back of my tv, in the cable tv jack. problem is.. im getting no video on my screen. it appears the same from the moment the tv was turned on. any ideas anyone?

GoofProg    127
Here''s a question. Why are you converting RCA to coaxial? It might have to do with the different frequencies with video? Coaxial has 75ohms and it integrates both video and audio in the same connection, but I''m not sure about RCA.. you probably just need to get a TV with RCA plugs, or get a sony playstation 2 official tv adapter.
urr here''s another thing. BNC!!?? where are you at in the world. they do not use BNC in the US that much.

scaught    122
My quick guess is that you need a RF modulator to convert the composite video signal into something the TV understands. I don''t think the brute force method you''ve put together does the trick...(well, it obviously doesn''t. )

Sony and many third parties make different A/V out cables for the PS2. Perhaps one of those would be better suited towards your needs...

-scott

Cass    122
Hum, my dad tested the RCA cables at work, and said they are sending an NTSC signal, and my tv only accepts a composite signal? Any idea how to convert that, since what I have obviously does not work?

jaxson    127
quote:
Original post by Cass
Hum, my dad tested the RCA cables at work, and said they are sending an NTSC signal, and my tv only accepts a composite signal? Any idea how to convert that, since what I have obviously does not work?

NTSC is actually a TV broadcast standard that means you are receiving 525 lines of video per frame at 29.97 frames per second. I believe it stands for something like National Television Standards Committee or something like that. This is the standard in North America and (I believe) Japan. Everywhere else in the world uses PAL which is 625 lines of video per frame at 25 frames per sec.

Anyway, though, composite inputs don''t really have anything to do with NTSC. It is sort of like the difference between a song (NTSC or PAL) and the instrument you use to play the song (component, composite, coax, etc). In any case, it sounds like your setup is a bit more complicated than it needs to be. Maybe you can simplify things a bit? Or perhaps your instruction manual has some suggestions on how to hook the PS2 up to a stereo and a TV using Sony''s cables?

And to GoofProg, BNC connectors are actually about the only thing used in broadcast television, although admittedly not much in consumer products. It''s a shame too since they are so much easier and quicker to use than the standard threaded connector on most peoples'' coax cable.

jwace81    160
The brute force method won''t work. You will have to have an RF modulator in order to convert the composite signal into an RF signal that goes through the coax cables. ONe reason not already mentioned as to why your brute force method won''t work is that coax cables are capable of transmitting several different channels, each at thier own frequency. So, what an RF modulator does, is convert the composite signal into an RF signal on certain channels (usually either 3 or 4). The best method would be if your tv had RCA inputs. One way you could get around needing the RF modulator, would be to hook up your ps2 through a VCR (most VCR''s have RCA inputs). Then you''d have to have your VCR turned on in order to play the PS2, but it would work. The only problem with that setup is if you want to watch DVD movies. Sometimes this won''t work because of some of the new copy protection schemes that they use.

Of course the ideal solution is the way I have my PS2 hooked up. I bought the component video cables, and an optical audio cable. The component video cables hook straight to my tv, and the optical cable hooks directly to my reciever. So I have a really good video signal, and really good sound. However, if you don''t have a stereo and tv that supports these options, it could get rather expensive

j.w.

feagle814    122
Cass, does your TV have the RCA inputs? If so, just plug the video into the yellow port on the back of your TV and the audio (red and white) into your stereo.

If your TV does not have an RCA input then the solutions listed above will help you.

Cass    122
Actually, its an old TV that I bought from a hotel that was closing down, for about $5, and its about 27 inchs. All it has is a cable jack in the back, and I can not get VCR in the room.

I have an RF switch made for PS2''s.. I use it to play games. The problem is, when I use that to watch DVD''s, I have sound problems. Which is why I want to hook it up to the stereo. I have one of those new flat stereo''s from Sharper Image, but, amazingly enough, it does not have an optical in plug, otherwise I would have liked to try to use the optical out on the PS2.
So I am seeking just "some way" to hook the audio signal into my stereo, which does have a Right and Left audio input from RCA type cables, and a video signal into my TV, which has a cable tv jack. I can not use a VCR. So, Am I screwed, or is there some type of setup I could get going on?

jwace81    160
Well, one option would be to get a seperate RF Modulator unit (one not PS2 specific), and then if your stereo has audio/video outputs, then you could connect the RCA cables to your stereo, then run the output through the RF Modulator to the TV. I think they carry them at Best Buy.

What kind of sound problems are you having?
The PS2 is not the best DVD player in the world, and it often behaves poorly when it comes to some of the standard problems with most DVD players, such as the audio getting out of sync, and the pause between layers.

j.w.

Cass    122
My sound problem is, whenever I watch a dvd, I have to turn my TV''s volume up really loud to hear what is going on, music or voice, and when I turn any TV up really loud.. the TV hums.. and the humming is so loud it just makes it even harder to hear. It is "ok" on my big screen, if i sit on the couch quite a distance aways, then i can "barely" hear the humming sound, but its still there and the volume is always low, i can''t hear what is going on if i am say, eating food and watching tv, the crunching in my mouth makes it impossible to hear =P.

I have heard other people tell me they have sound problems like that, and they all fixed it as well via hooking up to sound system. they all just have different sound setup than me, so they are kind of useless to help me. i have had a few customers tell me that they don''t have dvd sound problems.. but this one guy has problems with all gamesharks. he has returned like 10 different ones. and he has the same versions as our instore system, and the gameshark works there. so it seems everyone has one random problem with their system, i don''t think i''ve met someone yet whos ps2 worked perfectly with no problems. i work at Gamestop btw, kinda like funcoland if anyone knows what that is.
anyway, thanks everyone! ill try to head to best buy and get a seperate modulator.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Humming on AV signals, are generally becuase of different ground signals. Give a good ground to all of the devices. And supply them with the same phase electricity. Do you have 3 phase at home there in US?? I am in europe, so things may be a little bit different.