MIT Scheme

Started by
4 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering, does anyone use scheme to program games, or am i the only one? It seems to me that Scheme presents the best way of going around the Master Game Loop. I think it''s faster since it looks at the whole thing (As oposed to C/C++ which is imperative) and then outputs. I feel it is more sychronized and better suited to game programming. The only problem is getting a good graphics lib.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
quote:
I was wondering, does anyone use scheme to program games, or am i the only one?

There was a major game written partially in Lisp a while back. It was a Sega game I think. I can''t remember the name of it at all.

quote:
I think it''s faster since it looks at the whole thing (As oposed to C/C++ which is imperative) and then outputs.

Lisp is very much slower than compiled C/C++ code. Lisp pundits will produce endless amounts of graphs and benchmarks to prove otherwise. In their minds the gap is closing; everyone else sees differently.

Lisp is a very nice language that is good for many things (AI people love Lisp). But it is very easy to write bad Lisp code, so easy in fact that even good Lisp programmers often make fatal mistakes.

quote:
I feel it is more sychronized and better suited to game programming. The only problem is getting a good graphics lib.

Personally I feel that Lisp''s place in the world is as an instructional tool. Learning Lisp is one of the best ways to learn about programming.

But why would companies risk using Lisp to program games? Very few people actually know Lisp and fewer still are actually any good at programming in Lisp. C and C++ programmers, by contrast, are ubiquitous.
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
Uh, I wrote a Space Invaders clone as a school project with mz-scheme and even though it was very simple, it was slow as hell. What do you mean by going around the master game loop? At least I had one in my game
Andrew, can I see on of your "games" you''ve written in scheme? I am a proponent of Lisp as a great language for certain things, but games are not one of them.

So, how many "games" have you written in Scheme? I am truly interested in playing one, and, with your permission of course, the source code too.

Nutts

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

I wasn''t talking about interpreted Lisp... I was talking about Native Compiled SCHEME (Not much of a dif...). I''m not talking about those interpreter.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
As you know, Lisp is the parent language of Scheme. If you like you can re-read my post but replace the word "Lisp" with "Scheme"; my comments are still valid. I chose to make all my points relative to Lisp simply because you''ll find more people here at GDNet will have heard of it (although granted that Scheme has become a very popular variant of Lisp).
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement