Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectX8 and LaMothe's code from Tricks of...Gurus doesn't work well together

This topic is 5821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Short and simple. When I installed DirectX8, most of the samples that were on the CD stopped to function. Most of the time I can''t even compile the programs using the source code. Even the executables don''t seem to run! I am beginning to think this book is really not good for learning DirectX from scratch cause I feel lost since I was using the book as a reference and now I can''t even use it as a reference to give my game functionality using a joystick. I just figured that code written in DirectX7 will work in DirectX8, but after seeing the sample code LaMothe provided refusing to work after installing DirectX8, I want to know what is going on so I can avoid this from happening when I create my game since I want my game to run in future versions of DirectX! ~Robert

It''s best to use whatever version of DirectX came on the CD, a lot has changed from DX7 to DX8...like DirectDraw. Although I believe TotWGPG was written for DX6.1. I''d try using the version from the CD first, make sure you have all the libs linked properly, and look for the bugs that LaMothe left in the code. There are quite a few bugs, I feel as though he''s a great author and gets his points across well, but his programming is shotty at best. Come on, how many Extreme Games does anyone actually own? None?! They''re totally a quantity over quality type of organization. Which works out pretty well as far as helping get independents on their way, but doesn''t mean much to the actual consumer.

Plus, as long as you have some decent programming skills, you could always learn DX from the MS Tutorials. They''re pretty good as far as learning the basics. But, if you have problems comprehending their documentation it''ll be very difficult to learn.

Bill6

As long as you link the right files, you should be able to run your program and the demos with DX8. Just don''t link to any ..8 file and expect it work without change.

I''m using DX7, even though it was not written for it, and I don''t have any problems.