Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noods

Contrast Win32 vs DirectX vs OpenGL...

I am at the point where I learn Win32 DirectX or OpenGL. When I start looking around, I find many similarities, and Im starting to wonder how much of Win32 is in DirectX and OpenGL. Anyone have any insites on what I am not seeing? Thanks in advance! Noods "Man became intelligent the day he realized how little he knew."

DirectX 8.x has been very much restructured so that it is similar to OpenGL in many ways. OpenGL is very easy to learn and get something visually pleasing onscreen in a short space of time. DirectX commands a little more insight and takes more time to get things working but the results are, in general, better. It all depends on what you need it for. OpenGL is ideal for knocking up simple demos, but DirectX is graphically superior and keeps up with the graphics cards, use this for bigger projects.

Hope this helps.

Here are some links to OpenGL sites worth looking at:

http://nehe.gamedev.net
http://romka.demonews.com

There are not many DirectX sites but GameDev itself is good. Try newsgroups but the tutorials in the SDK are the best.

to me it reads that you are asking how much win32 stuff is in each. I haven''t used much DirectX, but Direct___ stuff is mainly win32 dependent (mainly as you also have alpha systems). OpenGL isn''t Win32 dependent. It can be run under, OS/2, MS/PC-DOS, Linux, Solaris, MacOS, Win32, Win16, Alpha, and so on. Really, if you are writing a Win32 app with opengl, you only need to use win32 to set up the display. The above Nehe link has some stuff to do it easily. You will probably also use the win32 stuff for accessing input. Otherwise it is Ansi C.

But then again, even if you don''t want to learn Win32 stuff, it isn''t really as hard as it looks, and you should learn the basics of it anyway as it will help in the long run nomatter which API you use for the graphics. Besides which, you will probably end up using DirectX for sound if you are using openGL anyway. I think there was an OpenSL somewhere but I haven''t even looked at it so I have no idea what it is like.

Guest Anonymous Poster
YourOtherLeft: DirectX is not graphically superior. We just went over in another thread where someone said OpenGL was graphically superior. Its all about the driver that the video card has.

And a site for DirectX:
nexe.gamedev.net (My friend writes articles there)

P.S. I''m a OpenGL supporter

Guest Anonymous Poster
YourOtherLeft: DirectX is not graphically superior. We just went over in another thread where someone said OpenGL was graphically superior. Its all about the driver that the video card has.

And a site for DirectX:
nexe.gamedev.net (My friend writes articles there)

P.S. I''m a OpenGL supporter