1st, 2nd, 3rd generation MMORPG?

Started by
25 comments, last by IADaveMark 22 years, 3 months ago
I recently saw a reference to "3rd gen" MMORPGs. What are considered the definitions that set them apart... perhaps some examples? Thanks, Dave Mark Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Advertisement
Really just the times they come out.

Typically, a technology comes out in waves: There were a bunch of 1st gen DVD players (for example) that were expensive and sucked (ugh. Remember the video/audio sync problems?), sometime later, 2nd gen that were cheaper but still sucked, and now 3rd gen and 4th that are finally starting to get it right.
Hmm... examples so I can have benchmarks would be nice. UO, EQ, etc.?

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

where did u saw that ref?
It was in a description of the content of a break-out session at GDC.

Dave Mark

Blogs I write:

Personally,

I consider the MUD, MUSH, MUCK, DikuMUD, etc programs First Generation to MMORPG, but usually that''s now what they talk about it and instead go based on how one game concept captures users (never seen a MUD with over 100,000 users) =(

Then there are the first graphical online systems, like the D&D one (what was its name?) and Meridian54(graphical, right? Never played it personally). I would consider these 2nd Generation.

3rd Generation I would place on UO, EQ, DAoC, AO, etc. I really don''t see anything that technically interesting between them all (except that UO->EQ was a much improved jump in performance and stability, if not in gameplay).

But, usually when you hear First gen, Second gen, it''s spouted by the Marketing departments and they seem to usually speak this way:

First Generation = UO
Second Generation = EQ
Third Generation = AO, DAoC, Shadows of Luclin

To be honest, it''s all marketing talk, since most consumers respond well to the latest-greatest, everyone wants to be Generation X+1 =).

I''ll stick to my list:

First Generation = Text based RPGs
Second Generation = Early online graphical RPG games
Third Generation = The new 3D crop with in the last few years

I don''t think we''ll see fourth generation until someone comes up with some new paradigm in gameplay, technical specs, or graphical system (VR games?). Personally, while I love Online games, I''m starting to find the gameplay for the newer MMORPGs very repititious and similar to past games, just different graphics, different class names, and slightly different spells.

I did hear something about a RPG-FPS that might come out of the makers of EQ (was it them?) that might be a fourth-gen MMORPG, but haven''t heard much else since then. Personally, I think it might be doable with a good concept, but it''s probably going to hvae a very imbalanced player base. Hope not though.

R.
Thank you. To sum up, everything is rather open to different interpretations.

Dave Mark

Blogs I write:

I think that''s about correct, I''m not sure about the 2nd Gen. It could have been text, with some graphical additions (like ''clothing'' your character, and it will become something like "xx has big sword and a dark sunglasses"

I tried to search on google for soem information, but couldn''t find anything actually (not that I searched _that_ thouroughly)

Alternatively, it could also be like Rube says, marketing.

eg...
Dune2 - 1st gen RTS
C&C - 2nd gen RTS
C&C:TS - 3rd gen

I could go on with FPS like this (Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, UT, etc)..

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>

I think that''s about correct, I''m not sure about the 2nd Gen. It could have been text, with some graphical additions (like ''clothing'' your character, and it will become something like "xx has big sword and a dark sunglasses"

I tried to search on google for soem information, but couldn''t find anything actually (not that I searched _that_ thouroughly)

Alternatively, it could also be like Rube says, marketing.

eg...
Dune2 - 1st gen RTS
C&C - 2nd gen RTS
C&C:TS - 3rd gen

I could go on with FPS like this (Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, UT, etc)..

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
quote:Original post by Rube
I did hear something about a RPG-FPS that might come out of the makers of EQ (was it them?) that might be a fourth-gen MMORPG, but haven''t heard much else since then. Personally, I think it might be doable with a good concept, but it''s probably going to hvae a very imbalanced player base. Hope not though.

I know of a certain FPS MMORPG called Neocron. It''s being developed in Germany I believe, so I doubt it''s by the same people as EQ. A friend of mine is a beta tester, and he says the game''s pretty good but has its problems like any game does during testing.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement