What do you want in a 3d first person shooter networked game?

Started by
15 comments, last by overcomers 22 years, 3 months ago
make it turn based :D
Advertisement
quote:Original post by wazoo69
Is it just me?

Apparently. "Everybody else" (ie, the market majority) finds bloodbaths quite fun.

Even I don''t think I could stomach a Doctor Who FPS though...

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Turned based FPS...Hmm...
Anyway, I like the idea of dynamic landscapes. This might be hard to implement in a networked environment while keeping it from lagging, but imagine if you get a bunch of people on a bridge, which can be blown up or at least flame thrown so it somehow damages the people on it or even below it...or on it?
An FPS where you can climb cliffs among other things like ladders, but not badly implemented like Rogue Spear. "I am climbing up and down a ladder, but my neck is stuck so I can''t turn left or right to see what''s near me or shoot the guy below me easily."

Whoa I just blew a cave into that mountain! What happens if I try to make it too deep? The cave itself caves in on me from being too fragile!

Or how about rerouting a river to flood an enemy base? I know there is a game out there where you can reroute rivers by blowing holes into the ground to create another river, but if I can blow out damns or otherwise flood areas of the world, that would add a great sense of strategic fun to the game.
"HAH! You''re not safe camping out in your base anymore!"

Fires, floods, falling rocks...what else? WEATHER!
What if the game''s dynamics were affected by weather? What if your line of site gets limited in a storm, or the fog prevents you from seeing the guy with the knife following you from behind?
What if, like the US military was experimenting with, you could use things like lasers to cut through fog, or use planes (ok this would get too complicated) to create fog?

Camoflauge (however it is spelled)? I can disguise myself as you when I kill you, or at least where your colors. In fact, if you made it like Rogue Spear, where you don''t just come back like in Quake, it would be a strategic blunder for your whole team if you stray from the team.

What if you can find vehicles and armored suits which give you super speed or stronger weapons? I remember watching the cartoon Battletech, and I loved the part where the guy waits for the Clans to attack him, uses his jumpjets, and simultaneously avoids getting blown away while allowing the damn behind him to blow up. He got away while the Clan guys got washed away by the flooding since they were too heavy and couldn''t get away in time.
Strategy.
That is what I would like. B-)

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
hyuk. I guess it is just me then..

Okay okay, I''ll succumb to popularism...I''d LOVE to have a 007 FPS for the PC..

I feel the need to shower...
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
7 fps? I want it to run smooth

/ Martin
/ Martin
Has anyone of you wrote such a game before? I'd like to hear frm you..
Have you done portal rendering?
BTW there is so much to fast FPS... I mean it involves so many optimizations! Can anyone comment more on optimization?
BTW thanks in advance for all your comments!

Edited by - overcomers on January 14, 2002 8:56:01 PM
AN ANNOUNCER VOICE!
You know what its like playing Quake III Arena at a LAN and you hear "Excellent frags left", "Assist", "You have taken lost the lead", and best of all, "HUMILIATION". This is 1/2 the fun of Q3A, the best LAN game of all time. (Quake 1 is a close second).
Also, you want the game to be a constant rampage.
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement