What do you want in a 3d first person shooter networked game?

Started by
15 comments, last by overcomers 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi! I've just got a question: "What do you want in a 3d first person shooter networked game?" Just give me your thoughts-anything! I'm planning to do such a program for my degree, and i'd like to know (realistically) what are the things you might want in it... Thanks in advance! Edited by - overcomers on January 10, 2002 9:52:00 PM
Advertisement
QW-TF and HL-CS mixed!!

"..and ah, i might post the prototypes here!"

no thx..
Since noone posted, I''ll help ya out, add some type of cool weapons. ANd make sure the gameplay is fun and crazy add some typpe of new feature that no games really have like a Matrix effect or something.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

NeXe

My Homepage
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
If you could somehow make the world more dynamic- ie breaking bridges, walls, ceilings, I think that would be cool. Also, if you could add items that could be used strategically, I think it would be fun and different. Traps, for example. I don''t really know.
First of all, try to overcome somehow the LAG syndrome (i.e. you fired but your shot appeared some time after so it missed). This is one of the most annoyed things and improving it would really make people happy. Note that previous generation 3D shooters (like Unreal Tournament, Quake3, etc) had this syndrome and they did nothing to overcome it. Another thing that "Gamers" like is that your 3D game runs mostly with the same quality & speed on most computers. It''ll probably limit you somewhere with the detail level, but I''ve seen MANY people getting annoyed ''cuz the game ran smoothly on one machine and then ran badly on their favorite machine even with low-quality textures (they had a good 3D card though), just because it had some issues in its D3D initialization. I''d just recommend trying to make the game look & run the same on two machines - very fast one with good 3D card and some "average" one. About other stuff (making the game addictive, dynamic, realistic, etc) - it''s probably what you already know, so I don''t think it''s necessary to talk about that.

- Arcane Lifepower -

"Although the world would call me free
Each day the more her slave am I
For in her very way to be
There''s I don''''t know what, I don''t know why"
quote:Original post by Lifepower
...but I''ve seen MANY people getting annoyed ''cuz the game ran smoothly on one machine and then ran badly on their favorite machine even with low-quality textures (they had a good 3D card though), just because it had some issues in its D3D initialization.

This is not always the case. You can have the leanest meanest 3D accelerator on the market, but if you put it in a crap machine, you are limited by the bandwith of the CPU/bus.

The biggest issue I think you would need to deal with is cheating. I have played many FPSs online and ran into so many cheaters, it''s not funny. Even when you confront them with it with proof, they still deny it. If you can prevent cheating, that would be a huge plus. This would probably be the hardest part, cause even the big boys have trouble stopping the cheaters.

One example is Delta Force 3. When you run around, the weapon you have in your hand determines the speed at which you run. If you are carrying a SAW(ie. rambo gun), you run pretty slow. If you run with a knife, that is as fast as you can go. You can do certain things to go up a hill or ladder faster, but on flat ground, if one person passes you and you are carrying a knife, they are cheating.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Thanks for all your comments so far- interesting!
What about the need for portal rendering? any comments on portal rendering?

Thanks again in advance!
It should have what all good FPS''s have: Cool guns, neat levels, new features (don''t make another UT or Q3, the same concept is ok but not the same game with different levels and weaps), mod support, and almost-naked women! Er...wait...the last one only goes if you''re making something like Duke Nukem .

-----------------------------
"C++ isn''''t hard, you fool!"
Famous Last Words
-----------------------------
Justin O'ConnerProducer, Designer, ProgrammerUnseen Studios
A robotic arm that shoots donuts, the ability to blow up walls, and no lag
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
What do you want in a 3d FPS game?

(in no order) how about:
(a) FUN - most FPS''s end up being erased from my hard drive after
1 hour of playtime. Which is a crying shame, as I realize how long it takes to develop each title.

(b) Creative - Here''s a thought: What about a FPS where guns/ammo AREN''T involved?? Wouldn''t it be wacky to create an environment where you actually have to solve puzzles and (gasp)THINK your way out of a situation?? (ie. A "Macguyver" or "Doctor Who" FPS would be AWESOME!)

Those are my 2 biggest beefs. I *yawn* at most FPS''s today, because they''re all the same: kill x, bomb y, protect Z...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ YAWN!

I realize this is ALL personal opinion, and I''m not trying to post flame bait. I just think with today''s 3d engines, MUCH more can be realized than just advertising the next round of blood bath matches.

Is it just me?

Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement