Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gammastrahler

Counter-Clockwise and Clockwise....

hi, i know that you can call the state changing functions glFrontFace (GL_CW) and glFrontFace (GL_CCW) in conjunction with glCullFace (GL_BACK_FACE). So you only render front facing polys, and any points can be passed in counter-clockwise order, is that right?? is this method the preferred one or is it better to avoid calls to glFrontFace between glVertex calls and pass the vertices for the polygons that are facing out, in clockwise order?? my engine currently works that way, that i pass back faces in clockwise order so that they are displayed. but then i must change the texture coords to negative vals otherwise they are mirrored.... i hope you understand what i mean but i can´t explain it better.... thanks, gammastrahler

backface culling should ALWAYS be enabled

-it used to be u would check each poly to see if its frontfacing + if so send it to be drawn if not dont send it (quake3 + others work like this)
-but noadays with hardware t+l cards being pretty common its faster to just send all the polygons + let opengl discard the backfacing ones