Help with Apache and/or Tomcat

Started by
5 comments, last by cMADsc 22 years, 3 months ago
Greetings everyone, At my apartment my roommate and I running a network. At the end of this month we both get a refund check from school and we plan to get router so we can start using our Linux online. Although, I have been doing some reading and hear alot about Apache and Tomcat, how they are good servers. Any advice anyone has on these two are surely appreciated. Thanks in advance. ----------------------------- "There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do." "...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own." Edited by - cMADsc on January 10, 2002 5:10:04 PM Edited by - cMADsc on January 10, 2002 5:10:26 PM
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Advertisement
Maybe this was the actual point of the post, but Apache is a WWW server. i.e., it''s used to make websites available. As for Tomcat, I have no idea what that is...

rm -rf /bin/laden
apache and tomcat are both webservers
i think the fact that something like 60% of the internet is running apache speaks for its quality.

dont get a router get a cheap 486 or pentium system and set it up, much more possibilities with it.

saai
I like Apache, have had very few problems with it. In fact, I''m running it right now.

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
If you plan on setting up a web-server to serve HTML and CGI and such, Apache is definitely the way to go. It has become relatively simple to install as well, over time.
If you want stuff like JSP, Java-Servlets and the like you should look into adding Tomcat as well. Although you may get away with using Apache''s old JServ.
Note, however, that despite what they say getting Apache and Tomcat to run nicely alongside each other can be quite a hassle unless you settle for having them on seperate ports.

Neophyte

- Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth. -
I do have an additional scrap-metal pc that I had plan on using with my Linux as the server. Although, someone told me that I would need an router also. I will check into it.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

Edited by - cMADsc on January 11, 2002 2:53:18 PM
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
A "router" is either hardware or software. If thru software, you can just use an ethernet hub, and one of the computers connected to it can act as the router. That configuration is a "software router."

Hardware routers are more expensive, in general, to get, but they are a snap to setup.

rm -rf /bin/laden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement