Fill rate problem

Started by
13 comments, last by Eber Kain 22 years, 3 months ago
Im haveing some fill rate related problems when drawing the background texture for a project. What can i do to fix it. Example : Without BG game runs at about 1700 fps Wit BG its about 250 fps The background is 4 large polys with a 256x256 mipmapped texture attached to each. Im useing 2D Ortho Perspective. blending makes no difference
www.EberKain.comThere it is, Television, Look Listen Kneel Pray.
Advertisement
hmmm, that may be normal. i have done the same thing except i used one quad and scaled it 320,240,0 which makes it 640,480. and my mipmaped texture it 640,480 yet i get 600+ fps but drops to 450+ with object moving around.

just try one poly and one texture and see how things go then.
http://www.lectersoft.com
Mind me, you don''t need mimapping for background textures since they always have the same dimensions on the screen.

How are organized the polygons ? Something like a skybox ?
quote:
Without BG game runs at about 1700 fps
Wit BG its about 250 fps

I''d say that''s pretty normal, with a screen filling poly, especially at higher resolutions. What 3D card do you have ?

- AH
Eber Kain: Try turning BG on/off on real scene (something like +25000 triangles) and some math/AI running. And then you''ll see the real difference in fps. There is virtualy none.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
DarkWing: you''re definately right, but IMHO this topic does discuss of how fast we can implement a BG.
Whatever the application is, if the BG draw faster without losing quality, then it''s better

oh and I forgot to say something that seemed obvious to me : without mipmapping, the result will be faster. that''s why I suggest to remove them. And if the texture is choosen correctly, there will be NO difference ! Please remember that the texture needs to be resized to fit "correctly" without mipmapping.
> without mipmapping, the result will be faster.

And it will take less texture memory.

- AH
how should the texture be set up? for me i can only use mipmaped images for my BG''s every time i try to set the texture to something else i get a blank quad??
http://www.lectersoft.com
I guess you use the gluBuild2DMipmaps function.
In this case, you will not have any problem because the glu checks the image dimensions for you and resizes it if necessary.

I think you have a blank quad because your image is not good :
- Either the image size exceeds the graphics card texture capability (kind of "out of memory"),
- Or the image size is not 2^n.

Defining a texture without mipmap
Instead of using :
gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, internal_format, width, height, format, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, pixels);
Use :
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, internal_format, width, height, 0, format, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, pixels);
(where "internal_format" and "format" are probably GL_RGB or GL_RGBA, and where "pixels" is an array of GLubyte pointing to the pixel data).
According to the OGL specs, OGL assumes a texture doesn''t exist if the filtering mode is set to GL_x_MIPMAP_x and it doesn''t have mipmaps, so set it to GL_LINEAR. If your texture actually takes up the same amount of pixels on-screen as are in the bitmap, you could even use GL_NEAREST without any loss in quality whatsoever. You can do that anyway, of course. It might result in a slight speedup as well.

Kippesoep

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement