Network play

Started by
5 comments, last by -Fruz- 22 years, 3 months ago
Do I have to use Direct...(wut''s it called) to create network games? I use VB. Isn''t there any function in VB that allows u to retrieve values over TCP/IP or IPX??? Like variables for an instance... Plz help me! I have never used network before (in programming)... JFK
Advertisement
There''s DirectPlay that you''re thinking of not using. There''s also WinSock as an option.. the MSDN has some info about using WinSock and there''s information scattered all over the web.
Directplay is a lot nicer than it''s given credit for.
DirectPlay offers more features but is quirky.

Socket (Winsock) offers only basic features by is a proven cross-platform standard
------------------------------------------------------------I wrote the best video game ever, then I woke up...
Winsock u say... I''ll check it out. Thanx!
If you''re in VB you''re already limited to Win32 only. So you may as well just use DirectPlay.

But learning sockets sure wouldn''t hurt ya! :-)

Not to be argumentative, but I have yet to see the ''quirky'' side of Directplay. It isn''t as old as Winsock, so it''s not as well documented, and that''s a problem, I''ll give you that, but it is a simpler interface for many things, namely game communication.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement