Memorizing code?

Started by
10 comments, last by Noods 22 years, 3 months ago
I wanted to see how many people actually memorize Windows programming syntax. (DirectX, OpenGl, Win32) Do you learn the concepts, and then keep a shell laying around that you can paste, or do you know it so well that you could write a Windows program from scratch? Im thinking I can get by with learning the concepts, and not memorizing every damn function and aspect of Windows programming. What is everyone elses take? Noods
Advertisement
Experience, experience, experience No one memorizes it consciously... you simple learn by repetition.
You learn the concepts of course. To this day I still don''t remember if the FILE-argument of fread(...) goes first or last. Just get yourself a copy of the MSDN library and have that running in the background. That frees your mind for design work.
Huh memorizing all that stuff bah.
Just creating a window takes 2 pages.They look better in a function

I''ll meet you in the next life,where we can be together.
----------------------I'll meet you in the next life,where we can be together.
cut, paste, MSDN, copy MSDN, cut, paste, paste, MSDN, MSDN.....the coding cycle

No, HTML is not an OO language.
thats what references are for....

or you can dictate everything and have someone else write for you! ^^

i.e.

Dictator:Now give me some
Writer:right sir! writing
Dictator:No, dont write it!DO IT!

P.S.VOTE FOR ME!

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose. SSC the Super Saiyan Cat"
--------------------------------- "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC Oh the possibilities!!Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday
When it comes to DirectX and Windows functions it''s typically cut and paste since I don''t use it enough to memorize it yet. Most of my time is spent doing actual game related coding.

Ben

Back when I used to use MFC, I memorized how to set up an MFC app from scratch... Even though the Win32 API is a lot simpler, you don''t really need to learn it. Just copy and paste it from your previous programs. Let it eveolve.
-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
What''s with all this copy and pasting stuff? I don''t think that''s what people mean when they talk about code reuse

Take the time to write a good set of general classes, or functions if you use C, and stop worrying about Win32 details, etc.

- Houdini
- Houdini
Didn''t I just ask this?
B-)

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement