To anonymous:
I tried method "A" [max42 > .ase > 3d exp > .x -> meshview > .x]
The first part of method A:
[max42 > .ase > 3d exp > .x]
yields an x file with the crease, the same as is produced by method "B":
[max42 > .3ds > conv3ds > .x]

Regarding the second part of method A:
[.x -> meshview > .x]
the only meshview weld function that seems to have any effect on the model is the "Weld All Vertices" function, which does remove the extra vertices, but also makes a mess of the UVs along the crease. None of the optimize-mesh functions of meshview seem to repair the damaged UVs. So I still end up with a useless x file. If you have a specific procedure with method A that produces x files without the crease, and with good UVs at every vertex of the model, please post the details so that we can follow it. For example, what is the exact sequence of steps within meshview that removes the crease and leaves the texture coordinates intact?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Please, could anybody send me or post a link to download max exporter recompiled for Character studio 3.1? The exporter at microsoft is compiled with CH studio 3.0 and doesn't work for my version(it always freezes during saving X file).
Thanks

Edited by - malyskolacek on February 8, 2002 1:04:36 PM
Can i convert .MAX to .X animated file by CONV3DS.EXE ?
If YES, How ?

to rtoometoo:
well.. that really has been a problem.. i mean making a smooth edge between faces when they use different textures or when the texture coordinates in the shared edge are pointing to different parts of the texture. that''s because there has to be duplicated vertices, and the meshviewer computes 2 different normals for them, leading to visible crease. The normals could also be calculated manually, but that''s kind of hard too.
so you have to be careful when selecting the objects to weld. it works just fine when the texture coords of the duplicate vertices are the same.

but anyway, don''t have to worry about it anymore, cause i made a cool discovery yesterday.. you can adjust the smoothing in the 3d explorer!!! you can left 3d expl to export normals if you specify the minimum angle in which the creases are created, and this can also be done for each object separately.. ("smoothing" in "render"-menu or "attributes" in object properties) If you set the angle to 180 degrees, no creases are created!! This means that nothing has to be done in meshview anymore, except some optimizations =)
I noticed a plugin for proper skin & animation exports in the extras - though I haven''t tried it. As far as conv3ds goes - it seems to work fine for a solid mesh(most of the time). My tactic is to simply export the objects, mesh, cameras, lights, etc via the built-in ASE/ASCII export(which prevents duplicate vertices that come with the 3ds export). You''ll notice if you export to 3ds and import to max - when viewing vertices - select-box all of them, set the tolerance in selected under weld to say .1 for example, and you''ll notice apparently random duplications of vertices -- like 5 here or 7 over there -- without any seeming ryhm or reason.
Anyways, once the ASE file is exported - it''s pretty straight forward format if you read it. You can easily create your own converter which will transform that one into a more compact one -- for better load times and adding whatever other features you''d like preprocessed. Anyway, I''m still dealing with this problem - because now I want to import skinmesh animation into my game(which ASE export doesn''t seem to export) and I''m seeing that I might have to take 3ds animesh and string it over into my new file format along with the other ASE which makes for a slow and tiresome export. Hmm.. If only there was a way to export skin via ASE - it would be a lot smoother transition..
Obviously my solution isn''t good. Surely there''s something better.
Anyone?
I''m thinking now - maybe I should just program an export plugin.
Any good reference sites?

(>-<)
Is there is a differance between the conv3ds that acompanies SDK 7 than that acompanies SDK 8, cause I never have a problem with conv3ds that comes with SDK7.

Or is the .x file of DX7 differs from the .x of DX8, does it?
If it does not, Iwould recommend using DX7 sdk conv3ds.exe it always works for me.

If love is illusion and hate is real, I would rather be crazy
I would love going home to M7, but I can't detect black holes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement