MAX to X Files Exporter

Started by
24 comments, last by yanuart 21 years, 10 months ago
Does anybody know a good exporter plugin to convert scene from MAX to DirectX X files ?? Or at least the resource on how to make the plugin urself
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
Advertisement
Well, if you own a copy of MAX, you have everything you need to write your own plugins (3dsmax4/maxsdk) and if not, you can always use the exporter included with the DirectX 8 SDK, though it supposedly has some "issues"...
"if you own a copy of MAX, you have everything you need to write your own plugins (3dsmax4/maxsdk) and if not..."

If not, there isn''t much need for an exporter, is there? *cough cough*
I do own a MAX of course, but probably to lazy to read the whole documentation of SDK to make my own exporter, there is only one exporter from DirectX and it fails to export the way I wanted, maybe there''s a better one ??
Play Motorama
Get milkshape3d... You can export to a .3ds format from max and then you would import it in milkshape3d and then you''ll be able to export it as a .x file format. Here''s the website: http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

I hope it helped.
François DagenaisDagenais.f@videotron.ca
I''ve been using Milkshape for the character mesh and simple stuffs, but Milkshape is too simple to do a scene, is there any ways or tools ??
Play Motorama
Download the X-file exporter for 3DS MAX 4, it''s an extra option to download with the SDK, just serach on microsoft.com for it. Once that''s installed, from 3d max you just say "export->directx .x file". It gives you some decent option for exporting too. The exporter works with character studio animations too, it''s a nice little exporter, but it does have some VERY weird (undocumented) quirks for exporting tex coordinates properly. email me if you need some help.
Everytime I tried to export my scene using the exporter that DirectX provides (8.1 SDK) it always shows an error message and then the program closed..
The scene that I used is the Level Design tutorial from the MAX L&T CD
why ???
Play Motorama
There''s a lot of "prep work" involved before you can properly export the .max file to .x. Read the readme for the plug-in.

You must make sure that all objects are meshes, and that any transformations are collapsed to the highest level, leaving only one "editable mesh" for each object in the max file.
Did someone how to export relative path for textures?

Why English rules?? C pas très malin tout ça!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement