Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(More) Effective C++ vs. (More) Exceptional C++

This topic is 5813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Meyers Effective C++ books, or Sutter''s Exceptional C++ books? I''ve gotten the impression that these are basicly these same. Any thoughts? Anyone own both series? Do these books teach me anything that my C++: The Complete Reference, don''t. Or is it just the same in more words? BTW: I''m not a C++ newbie, but I do want to broaden my knowledge. -meZ

I haven't read Sutter's books, so I can't compare, but the Meyers books are excellent. I highly recommend them.

C++: The Complete Reference is there to teach you what the language is. Meyers' books are there to teach you how to properly use it. I personally think once a new programmer has learned the basics of C++, the Meyers books should be required reading.

I''ve read 3 Meyer''s books Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL and most of one of Sutter''s Exceptional C++

I''d say start with Meyer''s books - they are more general and hit the ''basics'' very well.

I think the Exceptional C++ book is esoteric and far more detailed on a fewer set of subjects.

Guest Anonymous Poster
the exceptional book focuses mostly on exceptions. It was ok reading I guess but unless you are really into exceptions I wouldn''t recommend it. The Effective book is good, I recommend getting it.