Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wilben

Marying VB and C++ happily

Hello, My friends lives in the role of high level smut, and uses VB. I live in the world of fun and use C++. Is there any way I can happily marry these two blushing brides in some form if C++ code, possibly using the ''ectern'' command? If not, some quite good excuse as to why my friend should learn C++ would be handy. Wilben.

VB can talk to C++ code through DLL''s. Simply write your code in C++ and then make calls into that through VB.

Or get your friend to learn C++ cause all the cool people are doing it.

Nick Pleis
"Game Programming for the Palm OS" Available February 2002

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, all the popular people are doing it, is he must be wierd. He''s not cool enough to be different.

DLLs are probably the best bet for you.. You won''t have to deal with COM stuff if you don''t want to, so your code can be anything you want. And any language/compiler that can build DLLs can be called from any language/compiler which has support for loading DLLs. This means you can write code in C++, VB, Delphi, whatever, and call that same code from C++, VB, Delphi, etc too.

Otherwise, learning C++ is never a bad thing

Make an automation compatible COM object makes using the dll in VB wil lbe much easier. If you just make a dll it''ll be challenging for you to use it correctly in VB, nevermind the smut dog.

I wrote a very simple tut on using the ATL to make a COM dll in C++ and using it in Excel VBA (which is very similar to using it in VB).
ATL Tutorial

Learn C++ because its the only way your friend will ever pull out some software thats worth being run on a computer.

I hope thats a good enough reason!

lol

with vb you can made a code 5 or 10 times more fasted that c++, is a good choice for learn and also for made programs. In fact, many business programs was made in vb, because they don''t want a complicated and expensive program, they want a fast and enough good programs. Even more, VBA is widely used.

In any case, vb is good for learn dx8 and opengl, in fact it use very similar code that c++. In fact, in dx8 the code can be enough fast that c++ because dx8 library made almost all job. Of course vb have limitants, but a experienced programmers can jump this problems in vb or c++

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

quote:
Original post by eng3d
Of course vb have limitants, but a experienced programmers can jump this problems in vb or c++

Yes, the problem is these limitations wreck havoc in maintaince and consume orders of magnitude more time in support than the additional development time in C++ does.

That''s why VB is RAD/Prototyping tool. There''s BSA if you use it for commerical development.