How to implement learnt DX6 to DX8 ?

Started by
2 comments, last by Sir_Spritely 22 years, 3 months ago
Hey, Here''s the deal I am finally nearing the end of chapter 12 of Lamothe''s Tricks of the windows game...., If your familiar with the book it uses DirectX Version 6 and DirectDraw. For the purposes of the book and demo code I decided to stick with Version 6 even though V8 was out. I presumed I could implement what I have learnt so I can basically use version 8 without learning it all from scratch again! I have now heard that DirectX was totally transformed from V7 onwards and well the question is do I need to learn everything totally again from scratch or can I use what I have learnt and just tweak it a bit to suit the new Version 8? Thanks for any reply''s. Pk
Advertisement
I use the DX 8.0a SKD with Lamothe''s "Windows Game Programming for Dummis" which is for DX 5 and everything compiles just fine.
So you''ll be able to use the exact code you used before if you wish to.
Hey,

Cool, I''d heard otherwise but thats cleared everything up

Thanks,

Pk
dx8 is vastly different then dx6. though you can use the older interfaces. the main difference though are how vertex buffers are handled, screen initilaztion is handled, and surface creation is handled. changing states is the same, and vertex manipulation is the same. though the concepts thankfully dont change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement