Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moogle

Okay ...

Moogle    122
Subject: Real Time Strategy Games Question: How many tutorials covers this ? Answer: None Even Ernies excellent isometric book doesnt cover this, it only cover turn based which is so different (AI for example works completely different)

Enjolras    122
In my mind the AI for a RTS vs. something turn based is not really that different. The goals are almost identical and it seems like the variable that really changed was the amount of time it took to make those decisions.

BTW, Geoff Howland wrote a couple of small tutorials dealing with rudimentary AI in RTS''s.. they are most likely in the archives somewhere.

Kylotan    9854
Turn-based is just real-time with really coarse granularity.

Anyway, "real time strategy" is too vast and vague a concept for a tutorial. I''m sure that many of the component parts are covered in places though, including AI.

Grugnorr    122
Well, as it is a HUGE topic, you will have to look for it at little pieces. I can help you with:

.-There are two great articles about pathfinding AND unit moving together at www.gamasutra.com(from tha guy who made it in Age Of Empires2 I think).

.-Both GameProgrammingGems titles have some gems about it.

.-Future book(May) AIWisdom(or something like that) will be a book like Gems BUT only covering AI.

.-There´s an AI page at http://ai-depot.com/ .

.-Can´t think more at this moment...

->Now you have "some" things to work with

What the hells!