Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

game demo and a question or 2

This topic is 5814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've just finished off a little game demo, it's pretty basic and it took me about 3 months to put together (that includes time learning DirectX stuffs). It was a lot of work and apart from the particle system there no one thing i'm really proud of, except maybe the fact that the game runs pretty well on every system i've tried it on. (yes even my mates who has an astounding 12K of free VRAM). What i want to know is will a developer (who is looking to hire more staff) see the demo as: a) Crap. b) A lot of effort and dedication in a little 227K bundle. c) Wasted effort and not worth his time to look at. d) A simple yet well formed game who's creater should be gifted with employment. Basically will it help me get a job in the games industry? It's now part of my portfolio and it's been a huge learning experiance that has taught me a lot. I could now produce a far better game given a month or so but i could really do with getting a job soon. Heres the URL for direct download: http://www.boomstick.btinternet.co.uk/source/Invaders_Demo.exe So whadya think? Is there anything i desparately need to correct and/or include that isn't there? thanks, zipless EDIT: changed the url for the self extracting rar Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:07:31 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
How about a zip copy? (or best, a self extracting exe) Rar isn''t exactly common..., and developers get enough of these that they won''t bother installing winrar to look at it.

OKey dokey, it's now a self-extracting rar. Thanks for the tip, i wonder how many people would just have discarded the rar file if they didn't have WinRar installed...

cheers

EDIT: doh, nearly forgot the new url.
http://www.boomstick.btinternet.co.uk/source/Invaders_Demo.exe

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 4:48:50 PM

If I were a interviewer, I would double click it, see an error box, close it, throw the program away. Hey, i''m not an interviewer and I''m doing the same thing. Amazing; I should interview people.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I liked it. It played smooth, which was nice. A few things, though:

1) You spelled lose as loose on the ending screen.

2) The particles sped up when I pushed up, which was disorienting and improper physics.

3) You should probably put the source in with this when you send it to developers. They will want to see how cleanly this was written, in addition to just seeing it play.

Guest Anonymous Poster
1. You really should run this game in full screen mode (or prompt the user).

2. Movement is too fast.. is it not time-synchronized?

Otherwise, it looks OK for a first game. Oh, and I would not have bothered to open up the RAR file. If you''re gonna archive it - use a zip file. It''s "the" standard.

Huh? Error box? Do you mean the memory warnings i''ve posted when it has to run in RAM or did it not like your system or something?

Oh hang on, you mean when you don''t have WinRar installed, right thats ok then. You nearly had me worried there for a minute.

The movement *should* be locked to 60 frames per second (and no the movement isn't independant) you can check by pressing TAb then entering "debug" and RETURN. TAB again to go back to the game and a fps counter will be there. It might be wrong if QueryPerformanceCounter() is doing something funky though.

I thought the particles speeding up was a nice touch :-( I might think about changing it seeing as your not too keen on it. I'll get on theat speeling maistake in the next 5 mins.

The full source will be included but i wanted to remove some redundant code first, no point in cluttering it up with functions the demo isn't going to use.

You have no idea how happy it make me to hear someone describe it as "fun", even if it was only 1 play. cheers

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:06:50 PM

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:08:21 PM

http://www.geocities.com/entaria/homepage/Programming_Files/oyun.zip

Can you all guys check this and tell me what you think about it.
Don't expect graphics or a completed game its just a try.
I wonder if it will work.

I'll meet you in the next life,where we can be together.

Edited by - caramon on January 11, 2002 5:13:42 PM

Caramon: It came up with New Game, Load Game and Quit in a Dos box but wouldn't read from the keyboard. After i quit it generated a log.txt file that was empty. That was it, what was it supposed to do?

EDIT: gotta stop typing before putting my brain in gear...

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:21:41 PM

It should read from the mouse...
The log.txt file is to keep track of all the games that are saved .When you click load game it opens up log.txt and prints out the saved games so that you can type in the game you wish to load.

Edited by - caramon on January 11, 2002 5:25:34 PM

no work at all for me.

i get a warning: attached graphics adaptor has insufficient memory to run this program. RAM will be used to store graphics which may result in poor performance.

so i click OK then i get an error. shows up in error.txt as:

###### ERROR REPORT SHEET ######
######
###### For assistance with your problem please contact zipless@jings.com.

####
Error in file: "\Documents and Settings\klm\Desktop\DD_LIB\driverEx.cpp"
ERROR ENTRY: int GameInit(HWND main_window_handle): ERROR: initDSObjects(main_window_handle);
Error Occured at line number: 495
Error code: -1337

and error_log.txt as:

//########## ERROR LOGS ##########

####
Error in file: "DD_Lib.cpp"
ERROR ENTRY: void initDSObjects(HWND main_window_handle): Error: DirectSoundCreate8(NULL,&lpds,NULL);
Error Occured at line number: 3133

and free memory:
Tom''s free video memory: 833k
Tom''s total vid memory: 8847k
Error code: -2005401590

I''ll have a look im my code and edit this post in 5 minutes but it looks like theres a problem with my code using your sound card.

What sort of sound card do you have?

hmmm, that still shouldn''t have stopped the program. I guess it must depend upon the sound card being used.

I thought my game closure was pretty good, it throws up an error box telling you something screwed up then generates logs that tell me *exactly* where and often what went wrong. Helped heaps when i was debugging.

Thats why it runs windowed by the way, fullscreen make debuging near impossible without a second monitor. I guess i might put it back in as an option though.

hm...

well couple things:

i apologize for saying the exit wasn''t graceful. it is. i meant it should be more helpful.

anwyay, turns out that it IS the fact that i was listening to mp3s at the time i tried to open the game. only a few OS/soundcard combos i''ve had have been able to multitask the soundcard. actually i have no idea what the deal is with multi-tasking the sound card, i''ve never tried to figure out when it''s possible,

anyway, i''m assuming there''s a null pointer error or something that should tip you off to not being able to bind the soundcard. i''d suggest an error message that says, "Unable to connect to sound card. please shut down any sound emitting programs" or something, obviously my wording sucks.

anyway, i like the game, it plays really well.

-me

I have never had an error while initialising the sound card before so the only error checks i had put in were standard ones. I''ll have a look at exactly where the program fell down and do as you suggested and put in a more helpfull message box.

I''m pretty sure the error that gets thrown up is a DSERR_ALLOCATED, so it''ll be easy enough to check for.

Thanks for the kind words by the way, i know it''s a bit simple but since it started as a test program for some gfx functions i was writting and i sort of added them together till i came up with the game. Cos of that it''s a nightmare to build upon so i''m starting on a new one instead of making this one better.

cheers again,
zipless

Tried your game, runs 60fps like its supposed to. It did crash though after I beat level 3, Norton CrashGaurd tried to save it but couldn't, and nothing showed up in the error logs. If I die and exit, there are no problems.

Cool game though, I like the particle effects but agree that making the stars go fast when pushing up is sorta strange because the aliens don't go any faster.

No wait, I made it to level four this time no problems, must have been a fluke.

Edited by - Rixter on January 12, 2002 4:24:19 AM

I liked it for a first game and it was fun to play.
I haven''t really played it enough though to find any errors like some other people have (that''s probably a good thing though )

There''s really only one thing that I''d like to see changed and that''s the firing. Possibly having the space bar held to continuously fire as opposed to having to keep pressing it.

Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rixter: Dammit, thats the only problem i had hoped wouldn''t show up. I''ve seen it before but i thought it had been removed, if i could replicate it i could fix it but it happens so rarely that it''s really hard to track down. I''m 99% sure it''s an out of bounds exception. Thanks though cos at least now i know i need to find it.

Looks like in general people want rid of the speeeded up stars, i''d rather speed up the aliens when you do that but then the game would be really really hard.

Nope, the space bar has got to work like it does, maybe if you hold it down i could have a slow repeat rate but the idea is that your hammering at it to beat the last bad guy in time. I think it wokrks pretty good, maybe the last level is a bit hard though, has *anyone* managed to beat it yet?

Just in case anybody is interested i''ve nailed down and removed the problem that Rixter found and i''ve put in a slightly more helpful message in the event that anyone else has problems sharing the sound resources as well.

So thats it running with zero errors :-) Thanks for the help guys, think i''ll go start planning the AI for part 2 (yes it''ll actually have smart (ish) opponents!)

Guest Anonymous Poster
yo, i get an error when running it, its a sound error, i have a sound blaster live, and then it gives me an gameinit() error, latez

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry, but I was unable to get it to run,
I got an error about my sound card.
I closed down every type of sound program
that I had runnning, but it still didn''t work. Perhaps instead of killing the program,
you should ask the player if he/she would
like to play the game without sound. That''s
better than not being able to play at all.

error.txt
###### ERROR REPORT SHEET ######
######
###### For assistance with your problem please contact zipless@jings.com.

####
Error in file: "\Documents and Settings\klm\Desktop\DD_LIB\driverEx.cpp"
ERROR ENTRY: int GameInit(HWND main_window_handle): ERROR: initDSObjects(main_window_handle);
Error Occured at line number: 498
Error code: 0

errorlog.txt
//########## ERROR LOGS ##########

leaks.txt (empty)

vidmem.txt
Tom''s free video memory: 28584k
Tom''s total vid memory: 28584k