game demo and a question or 2

Started by
24 comments, last by zipless 22 years, 3 months ago
I've just finished off a little game demo, it's pretty basic and it took me about 3 months to put together (that includes time learning DirectX stuffs). It was a lot of work and apart from the particle system there no one thing i'm really proud of, except maybe the fact that the game runs pretty well on every system i've tried it on. (yes even my mates who has an astounding 12K of free VRAM). What i want to know is will a developer (who is looking to hire more staff) see the demo as: a) Crap. b) A lot of effort and dedication in a little 227K bundle. c) Wasted effort and not worth his time to look at. d) A simple yet well formed game who's creater should be gifted with employment. Basically will it help me get a job in the games industry? It's now part of my portfolio and it's been a huge learning experiance that has taught me a lot. I could now produce a far better game given a month or so but i could really do with getting a job soon. Heres the URL for direct download: http://www.boomstick.btinternet.co.uk/source/Invaders_Demo.exe So whadya think? Is there anything i desparately need to correct and/or include that isn't there? thanks, zipless EDIT: changed the url for the self extracting rar Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:07:31 PM
/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */
Advertisement
How about a zip copy? (or best, a self extracting exe) Rar isn''t exactly common..., and developers get enough of these that they won''t bother installing winrar to look at it.
OKey dokey, it's now a self-extracting rar. Thanks for the tip, i wonder how many people would just have discarded the rar file if they didn't have WinRar installed...

cheers

EDIT: doh, nearly forgot the new url.
http://www.boomstick.btinternet.co.uk/source/Invaders_Demo.exe

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 4:48:50 PM
If I were a interviewer, I would double click it, see an error box, close it, throw the program away. Hey, i''m not an interviewer and I''m doing the same thing. Amazing; I should interview people.
I liked it. It played smooth, which was nice. A few things, though:

1) You spelled lose as loose on the ending screen.

2) The particles sped up when I pushed up, which was disorienting and improper physics.

3) You should probably put the source in with this when you send it to developers. They will want to see how cleanly this was written, in addition to just seeing it play.
1. You really should run this game in full screen mode (or prompt the user).

2. Movement is too fast.. is it not time-synchronized?

Otherwise, it looks OK for a first game. Oh, and I would not have bothered to open up the RAR file. If you''re gonna archive it - use a zip file. It''s "the" standard.
Huh? Error box? Do you mean the memory warnings i''ve posted when it has to run in RAM or did it not like your system or something?

Oh hang on, you mean when you don''t have WinRar installed, right thats ok then. You nearly had me worried there for a minute.

Keyboard killer you should put mouse input.
But it was fun.

I''ll meet you in the next life,where we can be together.
----------------------I'll meet you in the next life,where we can be together.
zipless Member since: 9/19/2001...
Anonymous Poster: How about a zip copy?

Am I the only one who thinks that''s funny?
The movement *should* be locked to 60 frames per second (and no the movement isn't independant) you can check by pressing TAb then entering "debug" and RETURN. TAB again to go back to the game and a fps counter will be there. It might be wrong if QueryPerformanceCounter() is doing something funky though.

I thought the particles speeding up was a nice touch :-( I might think about changing it seeing as your not too keen on it. I'll get on theat speeling maistake in the next 5 mins.

The full source will be included but i wanted to remove some redundant code first, no point in cluttering it up with functions the demo isn't going to use.

You have no idea how happy it make me to hear someone describe it as "fun", even if it was only 1 play. cheers

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:06:50 PM

Edited by - zipless on January 11, 2002 5:08:21 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement