Linux Problems...

Started by
3 comments, last by Floppy 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I have two problems: one about the KDE control-panel and another about X and how it starts up. 1) The most important of the two is this one about the KDE control-panel: About two days ago, my control-panel worked GREAT! But, something happened, and now when I open up the control-panel it fails to load the modules (i.e. all the configuration programs that are usually listed on the left-hand side of the window). I have tried opening the modules by explicitly calling their commands, and right clicking my desktop and pressing "Configure Background..." and "Configure Desktop.."; nothing happens, there isn't even any sign that I can tell that the programs were ever called. I have checked the processes and they aren't listed... If you have ever had any problems with something similiar, your help would be greatly appreciated. 2) This is a rather odd problem about X: This seems to have been happening since I installed the new NVidia drivers for Linux from NVidia's webpage. I have a Riva TNT2 16MB card. I followed all the directions exactly, but here are the relevant sections of the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4: Section "Files" FontPath "unix/:7100" EndSection # Module loading section Section "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-buffering # Load "GLcore" # OpenGL support # Load "dri" # Direct rendering infrastructure Load "glx" # OpenGL X protocol interface Load "extmod" # Misc. required extensions # Load "v4l" # Video4Linux # Load "pex5" # PHIGS for X 3D environment (obsolete) # Load "record" # X event recorder # Load "xie" # X Image Extension (obsolete) # You only need the following two modules if you do not use xfs. # Load "freetype" # TrueType font handler # Load "type1" # Adobe Type 1 font handler EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "RIVA TNT2" Driver "nvidia" BoardName "Unknown" EndSection The instructions that came with the drivers said to comment out Load "dri" and Load "GLcore"; I commented out Load "v4l" since I don't use Video4Linux. The instructions also said to make the driver in the section "Device" become Driver "nvidia"; it was Driver "nv". Ok, well this is what happens; it doesn't happen often, but it happens once every few days (I reboot once a day usually). Normally everthing boots fine into my KDE login screen. But, once in a while it boots until I get these "blue 3-d blocks" on the screen, and everything stops and locks up; then I press the power button on my machine boot into linux and everything goes fine. When I look at my /var/log files for X the log file that boots fine has lines that start with "(II) NVIDIA(0):", but the one that doesn't boot somehow has "(II) NV(0):"; so it appears that X is somehow using the original NV driver instead of the new NVIDIA driver. There are few things that are different, but the lines where the bad one crashes are: (II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit (II) [GLX]: associated 2 out of 20 GLX visuals (**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2" (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2" (**) Option "CorePointer" (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer (**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" (==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3 (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off" (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" (**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5 (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE) Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/misc, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-7/75dpi, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-7/misc, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/75dpi, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/misc, removing from list! Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic, removing from list! Notice how GLX only associates 2 out of 20 GLX visuals, and the font problems at the end. The one that works great says: (II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit (II) [GLX]: associated 12 out of 20 GLX visuals (**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2" (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2" (**) Option "CorePointer" (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer (**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" (==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3 (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off" (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" (**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5 (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE) (II) Open APM successful (==) NVIDIA(0): Write-combining range (0xe2000000,0x1000000) (II) NVIDIA(0): AGP 2X successfully initialized (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1152x864" (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled (II) Loading extension NV-GLX (II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit (II) [GLX]: associated 12 out of 20 GLX visuals Now notice how 12 out of 20 GLX visuals initialized, and that everything is successful. Should all 20 GLX visuals be initialized or is 12 the usual normal amount? That's all the questions I have; hopefully I can get them resolved soon; if you need any additional information please reply back, your help is very very helpful! Thank you! Edited by - Floppy on January 11, 2002 6:12:01 PM
Advertisement
1) did you maybe accidentally modify the permissions of something? Maybe try to either CTRL-ALT-F1 to see if it says "permission denied" or try to get into the control panel as root, and if that doesn''t work... Well, about the only suggestion that I can come up with is reinstall KDE.

2) so I take it X starts up fine, correct? Are you noticing any actual problems in how it runs, or did you just find the log files odd?

rm -rf /bin/laden
1) I checked it out and it does appear to be a permissions problem since they run just like they should when I am root. Would you know what files I need to change? I''ll search through some stuff and see if I can''t figure it out.

2) The X-server starts up fine...most of the time. Occasionally when I reboot, I get that odd log file, and X won''t continue loading. Do you have any ideas? It''s not a major problem it''s just a nuisance. It happens 1/10 times I reboot so it''s not to bad. My initrunlevel in /etc/inittab is 5 if that helps any. I''ll search the net and see if someone else has had these problems.

Thanks for your help; anymore would be appreciated!
I figured out number 1, hooray. It appears that KDE uses whatever is in your ~/.kde/share/applnk/Settings directory as the modules to display. I deleted the Preferences directory in KMenu Editor which changed all the files in that Settings directory with tags of hidden=true. So, kcontrol didn''t find them. The reason it worked as root is because KDE looked at /root/.kde/share/applnk/Settings. But, there isn''t much in the root''s Settings so KDE reverts to using /usr/share/applnk Directory as the GLOBAL menu that is only overridden if the directory structure is different in the users ~/.kde/share/applnk/Settings directory (which it was, and the file in my directory were hidden so they didn''t show up). Does that make sense? I''m glad I got that too work.

I have rebooted five times and X doesn''t have problem; it seems to only do it after I have had it on for 8 hours plus then turn it off and reboot it.

Thanks for your help! (I got true type fonts working in KDE, but not in staroffice... I think figuring out how to get true type fonts (stored in my /mnt/windows/fonts directory) working in StarOffice is my next challenge.)
Yeah, no problem. Good luck with the truetype fonts though Actually, it''s definately possible, but it''s not always easy getting them to work... It''ll definately take some time

rm -rf /bin/laden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement