Links to articles/data on C vs C++

Started by
18 comments, last by a_question 22 years, 3 months ago
Can anyone provide me with some links to articles/raw data/info on C vs C++. ie speed, code, benefits, etc. I already read the info in the "What Language" artticle in the articles section of this site. Posting this here as it seems to be in the "Game Design" area - if not, my aplogies - and feel free to direct me to where you think it should have been posted :-) Thanks, Edited by - a_question on January 11, 2002 6:45:31 PM
Advertisement
No offence, but does it really make a difference anymore? If I had to chose I''d pick Win32ASM.

If you want to make fast optimized code, then learn your language REALLY well, that''s where the speed difference happens.

Sorry if this didn''t answer your Q, I just find it a bit silly.
*********-.o-**********
> No offence, but does it really make a difference anymore

No offence, but if you were a team leader with experience developing several C based projects, and a proposal was made to you saying "Lets switch to C++ for our next project", and when you asked why you got the response "Does it really make a difference", how much stock would you put in that proposal?

> If I had to chose I''d pick Win32ASM

Id hazard a guess that this would be rather difficult to implement on playstation/gamecube/etc platforms.

Anyway, I''m just looking for a comparison/benefits/insight anyone has on using functional vs object oriented design methodologies as they pertain to game development.

I''ll try answering the second part of your original post...

...try the Game Programming forum, they''ll jump all over your question.
*********-.o-**********
Sure - I see it as a game design question, but not within the context of what this fourm is used for. Ill take your advice and move it to the game programming fourm; it makes more sense there.
And sorry if my last post came off as a partial flame - it wasent meant ot be, but re-reading it im sure it could be conscrued that way :-) I just dont think its a silly question, thats all :-)

The only "silly/dumb" questions are those that have already been answered.

"If you do not ask, you shall not receive."

-Rick
quote:Original post by a_question
Can anyone provide me with some links to articles/raw data/info on C vs C++. ie speed, code, benefits, etc.

I know you''ve already been directed to another forum, but I''ll jump in and give you an excellent reference on why there is no reason NOT to use C++ in your projects:

Efficient C++ - Performance Programming Techniques. Dov Bulka & David Mayhew, Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-37950-3.

That''s an unbiased, straightforward explanation of many of the performance caveats of C++ and Object Oriented Programming in C++, along with excellent explanations of how to avoid them to make your code equally fast as something written in pure C, but more readable.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
*votes for object oriented*

Zaphire Productions
Somehow I just can''t imagine programming in C... argh, no structure, no beauty. ;-)
If doing a game project C++ ist must. Any programmer who has not yet learned C++ has not done his job proberly.

------------------------------
www.BadEntertainment.net

------------------------------

There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don't.

I agree that performance isn''t an issue with C++, if you know what you''re doing at least. And, if you reach the point where the performance gained by the language counts, you prolly know what you''re doing.

But I like C more than C++ because it''s cleaner, more honest and plain powerfull without losing simplicity.

I like the C header files way more than the ugly C++ header files. If in a C++ header you add tons of private stuff noone needs to know about, in C you just add a function or three.

I like C because there aren''t so many namespaces. Not confusing at all. Everything global and that''s it. An advantage is that making minor architecture changes is trivial. Try splitting a C++ class that you derive another class from that you derive another class from in two separate structures.

I like the C naming conventions. In C you always know at all times what functions and variables come from what module. Browsing through code is a lot easier. I don''t have to keep track of the class a function belongs too. I also find having different functions names for different param types helpful. All the info I need I can get from reading the code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement