Windows programming:Reference or memory?

Started by
2 comments, last by GBGames 22 years, 3 months ago
I am new to WIN32 programming, and I am also learning OpenGL at the same time. Now, what I noticed is when I try to create a new OpenGL project, I also have to code the WINMAIN and windows message functions, which should be a cut and paste job for now, but what I wonder is this: Do people who code this stuff on a regular basis know it by heart, or do they actually use references from books or notes and cut and paste code from before? What I refer to are the windows procedures, and creating a window, and setting up the window. Does anyone actually remember how to code such things on their own without looking it up? Just wondering if I should strive for this or realize that everyone else just looks it up too.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Advertisement
IMHO, there''s no need to torture yourself by trying to remember every little API detail. That''s what documentation and search engines are for. As long as you understand what the code is doing, there''s nothing wrong with copying and pasting a Win32 framework into your app.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Hi,

Well the Winmain for almost everything program you write is the same so basically most setup some kind of template so they can easily write better code without thinking too much about the WinMain function. Secondly its not important to remember all the code - after programming for some time one gets used to using glColor3f(red,green,blue), glVertex3f(x,y,z) as it gets used often enough. Its important to understand how it works, not how to remember. There are about a 200-300 function calls in every API out of which you will use only a few that is extremely important to you.

Some codes actually end up being remembered, sometimes you have to think, sometimes a certain function can be used to do some nifty things. The whole idea is to understand what the code or function does.

You should realize that everyone looks it up. How the code gets used vary.
Hello from my world
Thanks, that''s a load off my mind!
B-)
I guess you can''t really just sit down at someone''s computer and start coding without having the ability to find the code for WINMAIN among other things.

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement