Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

untalkative_monkey

what next?

Hey all. I go to highschool in Ontario, Canada. I know I''m not very experienced at all, but I love game programming, and I can see myself doing this for a living. I realize that the game industry is very difficult to get into, so thats basically why I''m asking this question... What do I do after highschool? At first I was thinking about College. There is a Computer Programmer course that I would take, but that wouldn''t really teach me about game programming, just regular programming. Now I''m thinking about university, but I haven''t looked into it yet. Anybody have any ideas what would be a good thing to do after highschool? ...go on and live with no regrets, you only have one life...

well, if you live in Ontario and you are thinking about going to university. i would have to say the best computer science school in Canada is U of Waterloo. which is the school i should be re-attending in september (working for money right now). be careful the math is fairly difficult. you used to have to write a math contest to get in (called Descartes, all math students were supposed to write it) and a good mark on that was 30%, but they removed that. the OAC average cut-off is 85-88% it think. however, i have heard U of Guelph and U of Toronto are good computer science schools as well. there OAC cut-offs are about the same (80%-90%). you will need OAC algebra (not sure about Guelph), calculus, computer science, english, and some require finite math as well. if you are planning to go to college i''m not too sure tho. i''ve heard of Digipen and was interested when i was younger, but never persued it. i e-mailed some companies (including SquareSoft, now that would be wicked) on what they look for and all of them replied BA or BS Computer Science or equivalent, 2-3 years experience. etc.

hope this helps.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Definitely go to college. Look into graduate school as well. But a big thing, I would say, is that during the summers get internships at gaming companies. Your first year will probably be a small one, then maybe junior or senior year you can get a really good one like Electronic Arts or LucasArts. Good luck.

Make games, it''s fun