• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

savagerx

Errors while compiling Menu.rc...help!

7 posts in this topic

I've tried all I can and out of wits, anyone pls help? Menu.rc code:

#include <windows.h>

#include "Menu.h"

MyMenu MENU
{
	POPUP "&File"
	{
		MENUITEM "&Open\tF2", IDM_OPEN

MENUITEM "&Close\tF3", IDM_CLOSE

MENUITEM "&Exit\tCtrl+x", IDM_EXIT
	}
	POPUP "&Options"
	{
		MENUITEM "&Colors\tCtrl+c", IDM_COLOR
		POPUP "&Piority\t"
		{
			MENUITEM "&Low\tF4", IDM_LOW

MENUITEM "&High\tF5", IDM_HIGH

}
		MENUITEM "&Fonts\tCtrl+f", IDM_FONT

MENUITEM "&Resolution\tCtrl+r", IDM_RESOLUTION

}
	MENUITEM "&Help\tF1", IDM_HELP

}

MyMenu ACCELERATORS

{
	VK_F2,IDM_OPEN,VIRTKEY

VK_F3,IDM_CLOSE, VIRTKEY

"^x",IDM_EXIT

"^c",IDM_COLOR

VK_F4,IDM_LOW, VIRTKEY

VK_F5,IDM_HIGH, VIRTKEY

"^f",IDM_FONT

"^r",IDM_RESOLUTION

VK_F1, IDM_HELP, VIRTKEY

"^T", IDM_TIME

}

Menu.h code:

#define IDM_OPEN 100

#define IDM_CLOSE 101

#define IDM_EXIT 102

#define IDM_COLOR 103

#define IDM_LOW 104

#define IDM_HIGH 105

#define IDM_FONT 106

#define IDM_RESOLUTION 107

#define IDM_HELP 108

#define IDM_TIME 500

When I tried to compile Menu.rc, an error message was shown: --------------------Configuration: Menu - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling resources... C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Visual C++ files\Menu\Menu.h(10) : fatal error RC1004: unexpected end of file found Error executing rc.exe. Menu.res - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) I have no idea what went wrong. Any comments? The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant Edited by - savagerx on January 12, 2002 12:31:47 PM Edited by - savagerx on January 12, 2002 12:35:08 PM

am not sure oki, but aren''t those define things be on top? under #include but before your MyMenu,

and what is this thing
///---------
Menu.h code:
///---------

doing in the middle of your code? i think that''s the reason why you get the unexpected error, hope am correct,

How do you post code like that? if you copy and paste straight outta vc++ does it do it?, or should i copy and paste into frontpage and then copy and paste into here?

quote:
Original post by garconbifteck
How do you post code like that? if you copy and paste straight outta vc++ does it do it?, or should i copy and paste into frontpage and then copy and paste into here?

Read the FAQ.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Got this after a single search for RC1004. Don''t forget, MSDN is your friend!

SYMPTOMS
The resource compiler generates the following errors when the .RC file includes a .H file whose last line is a define (that is, there was no final carriage return at the end of the #define statement):

fatal error RC1004: unexpected EOF

CAUSE
The resource compiler preprocessor follows C syntax. A newline character is required on a #define statement.

RESOLUTION
Add a carriage return following the #define.

Oh... I see!

Thank you Anonymous Poster!

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

Savagerx...been hand editing that .rc file have you?

Yap, but I heard that there is one "editor" included in the VC++ package which can handle these tedious tasks right?
B''cos I''m new to VC++ IDE, may anyone guide me on how-to use it?

TKX

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant